Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proper Boot Disk to Fdisk and Start Anew?

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My teen has so thoroughly thrashed her w2k system with junk that I wanted to take the rest of this week to FDISK, INSTALL W2K again and then set her up as a USER and NOT an administrator so she can't do it again.

Here's the problem. The CMOS has the 1st boot drive as the CDROM and the 2nd as the Floppy but the W2K CDROM I have of W2k isn't bootable and we can't seem to put together a floppy (yes, we've used the make boot disk command from the OS and the OS CD) that will get it to boot either.

The computer has a C and D drive and I have put the W2K cdrom on the D drive as well so I don't necessarily have to have a bootable cdrom -- I could, once I've FDisked (and Fdisk I must - its a mess!), just reboot and switch to the D drive and call up the W2K folder and start the install. BUT!!! Again, either the boot disks we've tried (especialy the ones that the OS helps you to make) won't really boot - the computer just hangs), or, if I use the 6.0 boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/, I CAN boot but only to an A or B prompt - it won't recognize the C or D drive.

Much obliged on the help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds silly...but if you get the windows 98 boot disk from bootdisk.com...that will give you fdisk and all the other tools...it seems like you just got the dos 6.0 disk....the 98 (preferably 98se) disk should work a little better...or better yet...get the actual 2000 bood and setup disks from bootdisk.com...there are 4 setup disks...and one bootdisk making tool...

dianab9311

dianab9311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks - I went and downloaded the Windows 98se OEM file - it makes one bootdisk. The W2K 32 bootdisk doesn't seem to work (I'd tried that before). Should I try the regular bootdisk from that one? Also, what advantage would I get using the 4 setup disks versus the CDROM?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the 4 setup disks are there for when you don't have cdrom support..they get the install process started far enough to install the cdroms and the main components...once those disks are used...it will ask you for the cd..and in theory...the drivers will be there to run the drive

dianab9311

dianab9311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Forgive my idiocy. I went and download the 4 setup disks. Each zip file has an *.IMG file inside. I read that I should rename these to ISO files so I can expand them on to the CDROMS. I did that to the first one but when I tried to extract it, it shows that the only file inside is ntkrnlmp.exe. When I try to put this file on a disk, it's too big.

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by dianab9311, 21 December 2005 - 08:50 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me check the files there...i haven't gotten the setup disks from bootdisk so i'm not sure on their formatting...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

. The W2K Pro disks are zipped images from the MS CD. Best bet is to download them, upzip them to a new folder where you also put makeboot.exe and makebt32.exe into and then run one of the makeboot utils depending on if you're in dos or windows to create the diskset. Or, one can use Winimage to just create a single bootdisk.