Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with virus' in my processes

• Please log in to reply

Christian1984

Christian1984

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my laptop has been running slowly. I am a musician and use 'Proppellerheads Reason' a lot. Usual when I compose songs the processor usage bar goes up to around 3 or 4 bars out of 10 at the most. Now though, it goes all the way up, stops and says the computer isn't powerful enough to play the song!

I think has to do with unnecessary processes running (For example, I found a number of copies of svchost.exe running). I looked on this site to see what some of the processes actually were, and found that a number of them are put there by trogans.

I run the free versions of 'AVG anti-virus' and 'Ad-Aware' respectively, but they don't seem to be finding any viruses. I also installed 'TroganHunter', but that didn't find any trogans either. I really don't know what else to do to clean my computer up apart from refomatting it, which I want to avoid.

The spec of my laptop is:
Athlon64 2400+
1gb RAM
ATi mobility radeon 9600 graphics card
80gb hard drive.

Can anyone help me out?
Christian.

Edited by Christian1984, 21 December 2005 - 07:51 AM.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
first of all, this is a good site to get some information about your processes: http://www.processlibrary.com/

Next, svchost.exe is not a virus, although some sites say it is. I actually have no idea what they're talking about because the process is essential for Windows XP to run correctly: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314056

I have several of these processes running on my computer and my virus/spyware scanners picked up nothing.

If you're computer is running slowly, first try cleaning out your temporary internet files and cookies. Also try dragmenting your computer if you have not done so in a while.

Christian1984

Christian1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That's what I was thinking to be honest. Just couldn't think what else it could be. I've defragmented my hard drive and cleaned my registry, temp files etc, but to no avail. Oh well, if it keeps up i'll just have to format it :s
Christian.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Don't reformat unless it's your only option. Trust me, it's pain in the butt to backup all your data and stuff.

It sounds like maybe you have some kind of malware. Follow the links in my signature and if all fails, post a hijackthis log in the malware forum.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just a little note for what numb said earlier about the svchost process....any file/program/systemservice can be targeted and corrupted by malware....never trust the name of a file or service...if you ever suspect you have malware or a virus...it's in your best interest to be sure before assuming you're clean....the malware guys love doing what they do..and have absolutely no problem with just checking your log...if you're clean already....then they had an easy day....so..follow fenor's advice and go through the malware forum....it's worth the peice of mind