Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram problem

• Please log in to reply

Dream.Rider

Dream.Rider

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have a small problem...On my computer I have 14.2 GB's 2.52 of free space, the problem is I don't have that many programs installed. I orginally thought maybe I had something that was eatting the ram and I went though everything you guys suggested about the malware yet, none of that cleaned it out. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas of what could be eatting all my ram up. I only have two big programs installed which are Norton and Limewire. Yet the PC is still losing ram. I have even unstalled all my stuff to reinstall just what's needed it still won't go up. Please help

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hi, I have a small problem...On my computer I have 14.2 GB's 2.52 of free space, the problem is I don't have that many programs installed. I orginally thought maybe I had something that was eatting the ram and I went though everything you guys suggested about the malware yet, none of that cleaned it out. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas of what could be eatting all my ram up. I only have two big programs installed which are Norton and Limewire. Yet the PC is still losing ram. I have even unstalled all my stuff to reinstall just what's needed it still won't go up. Please help

Are you sure that isn't a hard drive related problem?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Could be many things. Adware/spyware, virtual memory low, not enough memory in pc or harddrive not having enough space.

In your taskbar get rid of all Unnecessary items. I know that you can disable limewire from showing on your taskbar after you boot up your pc.

A memory cleaner might help.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
First, are you talking about disk space or memory? It sounds like you are talking about disk space being taken up.

If it is disk space, you can go into "my computer", right click on the drive, select properties, then click on disk cleanup and see what it find (I think that is the accurate list to get there, but I normally don't use Windoze, so it might be a bit off). You can select items to remove.

It is also possible that you have backup files from updates, which can be removed, if you are sure you don't want to go back.

There are many things which take up disk space, such as your web browser which caches the data that is downloaded. Email can also take up quite a bit of space. It can be difficult to find. If you are familar with Linux, you can boot with a Knoppix or DSL OS CD and then cd to the dos mount and type "du -sk *", which will give you the size of each file/directory. Then you can take a close look at the larger disk usage.

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey. Could be a host of problems here, but shouldn't be anything major. What you're talking about is your harddrive, not memory. Make sure you've emptied your recycle bin and defragmented the harddrive. If the used harddrive space is continually growing then it's quite possible that you've got a virus on the computer that keeps replicating and creating new files. Do you already have a post with a hijack this log in it? if you do can you give us a link? if not, can you get hijack this (www.merijn.org) so we can take a peek at what's going on?