Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB stick ignored

• Please log in to reply

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I finally splurge on a USB stick so I can transfer files between my laptop and the home computer without burning CDs, so of course it doesn't work.

When I FIRST put the USB into the home computer, (XP Home edition) the usual "New Hardware Found" popED up, and the "remove hardware safely" icon appears in the tray, but when I open it in My Computer, (it appears as Drive E under removable storage,) it showed as empty, (when in fact its crammed with homework and newspaper articles,) and when I try to transfer more word documents onto it I get the error message:
"Cannot copy: filename. Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I then randomly tried copying a pdf, a zip file, and a .exe file. Same message for them all.

When I checked "Properties" of my drive E, it said that there were zero bytes used on it, but the entire drive was full.

I tried every one of the 4 USB ports. Didn't work.

I rebooted and tried again. This time the drive didn't even appear in My Computer.

Its a Kingston Data Traveller 512 mb.

It works on windows 2000 at work, it works on Windows NT at college, it works on XP pro on my laptop, it works on XP home at one freind, and on MAC X at another.

It doesn't work on the Windows Home edition Athlon 64 512 mb computer, and it didn't work on our ancient Pentium 3 windows 98 HP.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may be a driver issue...see if you can update your bios drivers on the home machine

howlleo

howlleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I tried doing that for the windows 98 system. I downloaded half a dozen USB drivers from the windows site and installed them onto the machine.

all htat happened was that it didn't tell me I had an unidentified USB item anymore. It just didn't tell me anything at all.

Is there a better site for driver upgrades? I tried Kingston, but they only had a Windows 98 driver, and the real problem is with the XP system.

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Try booting into safe mode and see if you can find the driver and uninstall it. It sounds to me like the drivers been corrupted. To find the driver you right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager and then see if you can find the usb drive. Deffinately wierd though. I bet you if you tried a different usb drive in the computer it would install a new driver for it and it would work fine though (if you have a brave friend who'd let you use theirs...lol)