Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Access Denied' to file(s) in Xp

• Please log in to reply

Terryr100

Terryr100

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!
I ripped a cd to my HD which worked Ok and mp3 file was playable( not rights protected).
Subsequently I drag-and-dropped the file into 'My Music' folder and found it was blocked.
Error is 'Access Denied'. I cannot open or play. I get the same error if I try to delete or move.
I've logged on as admin and tried to delete file but to no avail.
Also logged on in 'safe' mode and tried to delete..also no success. I ran disc check prog and no error was found.Also if I go to 'properties' of the file it shows as empty(no mp3 file in there).
' Move on boot' software does not help.

(Note: this problem is on my home computer. I ripped the same CD and drag and dropped into My Music on my notebook and have no error or problem whatsoever.

I just want to clean up my music and delete this file..canyou help?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
So you're saying that can't move the music file?

What part of your hard drive did you rip the music to?

And have you used this utility: http://www.majorgeek...ckMe_d4429.html

to see if anything is preventing it to be moved?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
log in as administrator > then navigate to the file > right click the file > properties > security tab > advanced > owner > then there should be a "change owner to" window with a list of users...if all that's there is administrator..pick administrator...otherwise pick your user...click apply...then ok untill you're back out of those menus

Terryr100

Terryr100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks guys for quick response!
Numb Remixed....tried downloading 'WholockMe' and result is that this dll file 32KB has same problem
won't open and can delete 'access denied'. so I'm now deeperin the s**t!!
Dsenette....tried your way too. dont' get a security tab all I have is via properties 'General/Sharing/
Customise.
Any other ideas..sorry to be such a pain....this is just a little thing that's really aggrivating me!!
Cheers!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you log in as an administrator? if not...you probably won't have the optioni to take ownership (to log into the true administrator account....go into safe mode..and when it asks you to pick your user...press ctrl alt del...this will bring up a login screen..type in administrator....then the password)