Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creative DVD/cd rom that wont play DVDS

• Please log in to reply

fixit5561

fixit5561

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hello,

I have a Creative PC-DVD Dxr2 Model DVD2240E F/W=+1.3A I took it out of a PC that when it was installed in there it worked fine. I downloaded the driver update( i also downloaded the drivers from the CD and the Floppy that came with the player) for it from Creatives site and it still wont play DVD's. It does run and work as a CD rom no problem.

When i load a DVD in it reads it and tries to play it using my Real player. Then real player says it needs to download from its website some software. It downloads, then it gives me a window that pops up and says the DVD cant be played.

I then tried a different DVD ( the lion king from my daughters collection) and it set up another player on my PC . Then when i try to play the DVD it pops up a window saying that the navigation isnt right or something like that.

If i try to use the player that came with the DVD software, the remote control comes up and has the info from the CD on it,( the title of the movie, tracks, etc) and when it tries to play the screen goes black and i have to reboot my system completely.

I found that DVD's are very sensitive thats for sure of what software you have loaded into your computer. I dont know what i need or dont need to tell you the truth.

Im stumped, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Brian

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Brian,

Can you list your system specs?

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok sorry i didnt list all that.
the pc is a desktop it has a

NobleBoard by Nobilis mother board (NB-6BXCATX),
A Pentium II 400,
Video card is an Asus Ensoniq Audio PCI,
Ram is 320,000 at 133mhz.
I have 2 hard drives 1 is an 8 gig, the second is a 10 gig that i just have formatted and am not running an OS on it, i just am going to use it for storage.
It is not a store bought it is a clone made by a company that is no longer in business.

Thanks and if you need any other info just let me know.

Thanks
Brian

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your system specs give a large hint as to why you're having so much trouble. The machine will struggle playing/displaying DVD media. What kind of machine did the DVD player come from? Was it a more powerful machine?

Win98 normally doesn't need any drivers to be installed to recognize DVD drives. That said, you shouldn't have had to install any additional drivers.

Realplayer is nortorious for stealing associations. That's why it stole the detection of the DVD when you put the DVD in the drive. First thing is to go into Realplayer and disable it for DVDs.

Also, the DVD player installed from Lion King should probably be uninstalled.

Basically, what we want to do is stop the above two apps from intefering with trying to play DVDs.

What DVD player came with the DVD software? Was it Roxio?

and when it tries to play the screen goes black and i have to reboot my system completely

This is probably due to your video card not being able to handle displaying the DVD. You might try lowering the desktop resolution to 16bit (or lower) and trying to see if that makes a difference.

I really don't have high hopes that you'll be able to play DVDs with any kind of "smoothness" due to your system specs. You might have to upgrade your computer as PIIs are not known for handling media content very well.

Edited by makai, 22 December 2005 - 01:48 AM.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Makai,

Hi, thank you for your advice, it worked! I lowered the screen to 16 bit and it now plays no problem after i got rid of the other players. It plays nice and smooth too no problem.
So thank you very much for your help and your time.

Happy New Year
Brian