Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't start MS Word?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cOnFuSeDd!

cOnFuSeDd!

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

I signed up here in order to learn more about computers because my knowledge about such matters is very limited.

I have encountered a problem with my MS Word. I had to reinstall MS Office not too long ago and ever since then, MS Word failes to start up. It gives me an error message saying Word encountered a problem and needs to close, and will only allow me to open it in safe mode.

This seems strange because all the other components of Office (Excel, Frontpage, Powerpoint) are all working fine.

I have tried a reinstall of Office to no avail. I even tried downloading a new copy of office but even that did not seem to work.

Can someone pls give me some suggestions that don't require me to reinstall windows XP. I have lost my Windows XP CD and therefore cannot go that rout.

Thx in advance for any support.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which site did you use to download Office

cOnFuSeDd!

cOnFuSeDd!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Which site did you use to download Office

Sorry, I did not mention that because one forum I was on got very angry when I asked about a program problem I had that I downloaded. They spouted copyright laws to me so I left.

If you want to know I used Limewire which is a P2P shareware service. I was able to download the latest version of Office XP.

I was actually searching for this forums rules so I can see whether or not I can post questions about things like this. My intentions in joining any forum in the first place is so that I can learn more about program/game downloads, and how to install/play them. There is so much info out there that I don't even know how to search for it.

cOnFuSeDd!

cOnFuSeDd!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
let me also appologise since I just noticed there is s specific forum for softwear problems.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Member Conduct

You are solely responsible for the content of your transmissions through the Services. Geeks to Go reserves the right to take any action with respect to the Services deemed necessary or appropriate at Geeks to Go's sole discretion if you or your transmissions or use of the Services may create liability for Geeks to Go or cause Geeks to Go to lose (in whole or in part) the Membership of Geeks to Go's Users. Your use of the Services is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations (including without limitation those governing account collection, export control, consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination and false advertising). You agree: (1) to comply with all laws, rules and other regulations applicable to your use of the Services; (2) not to use the Services for illegal purposes; (3) not to interfere or disrupt networks connected to the Services; (4) not to attempt to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems via the Geeks to Go site or by use of the Services; (5) not to interfere with another User's use and enjoyment of the Services; (6) not to use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Geeks to Go site; and (7) not to take any action that, in Geeks to Go's sole determination, imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure.

You should run in to the same brick wall whenever trying to get assistance from any reputable help forum regarding problems with software obtained through P2P Programmes

Geeks To Go do not provide assistance with this type of installation. You should be aware that using programmes obtained through P2P Programmes can enable others to gain control of your PC, and / or obtain personal information stored on your PC.

Taking the cost of Office as a percentage of the cost of the PC, it is advisable to use genuine software in all cases

Please download Open Office, which has similar capabilities to Microsoft Office, is free to use, and will not cause any problems we are unable to assist you with

OpenOffice.org is the open source project through which Sun Microsystems is releasing the technology for the popular StarOffice productivity suite. It is an international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format. It establishes the necessary facilities to make this open source technology available to the developer community.

http://www.majorgeek...dows_d3461.html