Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touch Pad problems with Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply

bentherat

bentherat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a Dell laptop that is slightly over a year old. A few weeks ago, almost overnight the touchpad began doing strange things:
Cursor will move in opposite directions
Cursor will bounce back as if on a spring when you take your finger off the touchpad
Cursor dips down and wobbles at a place on the touchpad in the upper middle

Dell won't offer me any advice, only where to take it to have it worked on. Does this sound like a software issue or a bad touchpad? When connecting a regular mouse, the cursor was doing strange things as if the touchpad was interferring, even though the touchpad was set up to work only if a mouse was not connected. I now have it disabled.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had to work on 4 dell laptops with touchpad problems. Most give you a error message if it is a drivers issue. 3 of the 4 i had to replace the touchpad to fix. The problem there is that dell will only sell you replacement parts if you go thru a dell licenced repair shop. You might try deleting the synaptics drivers and reinstall them. It usually has not worked for me but it did once. I would try to find the drivers on the computer and write the name of the driver file down.

http://support.dell....=us&cs=19&s=dhs

http://www.input-dri...panies/1006.htm

SRX660

bentherat

bentherat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the info. I feared it may have went bad. So it seems there's a trend with Dells and bad touchpads? Thanks again! Hope you had a great holiday!