Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arctic silver 5

• Please log in to reply

BInarY

BInarY

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
While in the process of attaching my new hsf to my p4, i put way too much Arctic silver 5, it literally covered the entire surface after i put teh hsf on it. A small amount managed to pop outta the sides after it placed and secured on the mobo. Is this a Major problem....can it cause failures in teh long run..?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Yes, remove the heatsink and clean the cpu and heatsink with isoproply alcohol, then reapply following the directions on the artic silver website.

This condition you speak of could actually cause the cpu to run hoter or possible overheat in rare instances it can also cause the cpu to short.

Artic silver also makes a proctuct called atrtic clean witch is the preferred method of clean up but isoprpolyn alcohol will work.

Rick

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Remember to use about half a grain of rice worth of arctic silver. Your goal is not to create a complete buffer between the heat sink and processor, just to fill in the microscopic grooves and cracks that we can't even see. You should barely be able to see the layer of arctic silver when you're done (remember, metal on metal is a much better heat conductor than metal to arctic silver to metal)

BInarY

BInarY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you, i just finished ordering the arctic clean... ill remove it as soon as it gets in, like 3 days. Hopefully nothing should happen with in the mean time. After installing the hsf and checking my sensors, the temperature dramatically fell. It was overheating at about 80c and now it reads 38-50c. BIG TIME improvement.

Ive got another question: I always leave my computer 24/7, is this a good thing or not....i ve heard that turning the computer constantly on and off stresses the computer ...and leaving it on is the best bet...or am i confused ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should turn it off when you are finsihed with it, all the time it is on you eat into the lifetime of components and since you spend most of the day off of the computer rather than on especially when sleeping you should keep it off.

Its is designed to be turned on and off it wont cause any damage by turning it on and off, it can only receive additional stress if it is running very very hot and you then cool it very quickly but this is a rare circumstance and you would have to do it alot for there to be any damage and even at that the damage would be minor probably only cosmetic.

So turn it off when its not in use. Also using all that electricity with the computer doing nothing is highly wasteful and irresponsible. not to mention its costing you a fair bit of money.