Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!

• Please log in to reply

rollman

rollman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Everytime I try to start my Windows ME, I get the following error message:

Rundll has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL

The problem occured after I accidentally unplugged the power strip the computer was plugged into, while the computer was in the middle of starting up.
When I plugged the computer back in and tried restarting, I only get 256 colors onscreen, the text is reallly big, my mouse pointer won't show up on screen, and hitting CTR+Alt Delete won't work.

I read an earlier message by posted by Coachwife6 on Jan 24 2005, and have downloaded the software from PC Mighty Max that they recommended, but I'm not sure if I'll even be able to get it to work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
http://www.helpwithw...e/tip-0100.html

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi rollman

Have a look at this link

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=138835

kc :tazz:

mattyb

mattyb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the exact same problem. I followed the links suggested to fix it, but I have no idea how to execute the solution Microsoft suggests. Can anyone walk me through it?

Much appreciated...

maudin8

maudin8

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello , i recently read an article that might apply to your problem.here are some excerpts and the link about the article with ways to see if you are infected at the bottom of the link page.

The Zombie program I received was named "rundIl.exe". (Note the capital "I" in the filename.) This struck me as significant since "rundll.exe" is a frequently used and often seen component of Windows systems. Changing the first lower-case 'l' (el) to an upper-case 'I' completely hides the difference under Windows 9x systems because the font used by the Windows registry renders those two characters as a featureless vertical bar. Anyone inspecting the Windows registry for suspicious files will see: "rundll.exe" and miss the fact that it's actually "rundIl.exe". Clever.

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

maudin8

maudin8

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i forgot to put qoutes around the last paragraph and give credit to Steve Gibson for saying it, sorry about that.