Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Killing AOL and other unwanted programs.

• Please log in to reply

kickndave

kickndave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, first thank you in advance. Here is my problem. I just bought a new emachines computer and was cleaning it up. I deleted all the crud that comes on new computers. I got rid of AOL during this process, and all the AOL extras, so that nothing further can be deleted from AOL in the Add/Remove programs. I tried playing my favorite game and was noticing I was getting disconnected from the internet every time I booted it, so I looked to see what was running in the background of my computer and did a 'CAD' and much to my surprise there were 2 AOL.exe programs running. I tried to stop them but they just come right back immediately. I even went in to MSCONFIG to stop things on start up, but its not under the start up tab either. Can you please tell me how to get rid of these and other programs for good when they are not in the MSCONFIG, or anywhere else?

:tazz: :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for AOL

You might find AOL files in the common files folder within programme files