Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help anyone?

• Please log in to reply

electrofreak

electrofreak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok to start i got this comp and i was told that a company looked at it and the cpu was bad so i replaced it, but when i did still nothing it is only a p3 but its going to be for my son! I took the motherboard out and let it sit for a while ,then i got another moniter card and put everything back together when i did i just tried it w/out the cpu fan and it booted to bios but i shut it off within about 2 sec so i wouldnt fry the cpu , hooked up the fan and now i have nothing again!!! any suggestions?? :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a routine i go thru with dead puters. I first check the power supply to see if all voltages are within the range of working. The next thing i check is the ram. I keep known good sticks of various types to check with. If the puter still does not boot to the bios i now start with the basics. Sometimes i will pull the motherboard out and do a setup on a cardboard box. I have the MB, processor(with fan hooked up), ram, video, monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up( nothing else). If i do not get to the bios then i try a different video card. On some MB's i have to have a floppy drive hooked up or i get POST beeps and no bios(older MB's). At this point i have to decide wheather to continue. Puters that are less than a 1 gig processor i usually strip them down and save the good hardware. Most of the intel puters that used RDRAM( usually the 1.4 to 2.4 processors) i also junk and use for parts. If i have the spare parts to continue i will try them. If i don't have the parts i cannot afford the time to find them and usually junk the puter. New puters are so cheap now it is not worth spending a lot of time trying to fix them. i usually build a new puter every90 days. It seems lately some people have found out about me so it seems i am having a shorter between time before building another puter. People who come to me do not want a regular computer. So i build them what they want. My basic computer starts at $800 and goes from there depending on what hardware they want.

All i'm really trying to say is to not spend too much money on a old puter. It doesnt take much to have the cost of a new puter tied up in a old one. Parts for older puters are getting harder to find and the people who have those parts want higher prices for them.

SRX660