Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook works slow

• Please log in to reply

vincehardi

vincehardi

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dear Sir,

Recently I experienced a very strange thing with my notebook. It runs in Win XP Home Edition, suddently it becomes slow. When I start it up, the Win XP logo displayed for extra long before it load up the rest of XP program. When I run any application with it, it works slower than before. How to solve this? Do I need to restore back with the original rescue CD? (It means reformat the whole notebook).

Please help.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC)After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

vincehardi

vincehardi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dear Sir,

I've followed all the stpes you suggested. But it seemed no progress. The system still slow, even when I played a MP3 file in my iTunes, there is some "tsskk, tsskkk" sound in the middle of the songs. Or when the Windows just started, there is usually a welcome sound, even this sound also has "tskk, tssskkk" sound in the middle.

Please help.

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are getting this with all sounds and players then it is likely the soundcard drivers need to be reinstalled or upgraded

If you know the make and model of the soundcard, look on the manufacturer's site for the most recent drivers and any other software relating to the soundcard

vincehardi

vincehardi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dear Sir,

It's not only the sound affected, the work process in the computer also extremely slow. It's like something obstruct everything run in it. Such as when I start up the computer, the Win XP is displayed exteremely long compared to usual. When I call Word program etc, it takes a longer time than usual or should be.

Regarding the sound card, I'll try it first.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Norton anti virus, open it , click options to turn off the Office plug in

To check you do not have malware

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

vincehardi

vincehardi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dear Sir,

For your info, I've unistalled all of my Norton program and the problem still persist.

Thanks for your guide, I'll do the malware removal and post it in respective forum.

Thank you.

NZC

NZC

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You may also defrag your hd and install AVG.