Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difference btw crossover and regular cat5 cable

• Please log in to reply

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
How can I visually tell the difference between a crossover cable and a regular cat5 cable? I know it has something to do with the wires but am not exactly sure what to look for.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
most of the time the cables are actually labled..but if it was custom built then
http://www.homenethe...t-crossover.asp
http://en.wikipedia....Crossover_cable

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hold them up with the connectors in front of you make sure on both connectors that the clip is facing away from you. if the order on both for colors is
white-green green white-orange blue that is just the first few but if it goes like that then it is regular cat5 patch cable.

if the first color is white-orange then it is most likely a crossover if the first color is brown then it is a rollover

Doorslam

Doorslam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks for the info hudihoo... I am not near my cables and won't be for a few days due to the holidays. But when I get back to my office I will be sure to check it out!