Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus x850xtpe and lcd problem

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I recently bought a new gfx card. An Asus x850xt pe. I installed it and my game was very choppy. I played wth a few options mainly my vertical sync and refresh rate. I restarted and the problem occurred. My computer starts to boot, i get the screen to go to my bios, and i get the win xp start screen (the black logo with blue scrolling bar)...after this my screen looks like its going to load but then it goes blank and my lcd led just blinks. Nothing shows up.

My specs are:
p4 1.8 ghz processor
win xp
1 gig ram
asus x850xt pe

PS: i put my old video card (ati x700pro) back in to my agp slot and it worked fine, but my new x850xt refuses to work. I have been told my monitor might be out of sync.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you have the AGP version of this card? I'm just asking because by swapping in your old card and having your computer run fine, tends to make me think it's the card. Have you tried swapping between using the DVI and D-sub to see if you can get it running?

Just thought of something. I'm sure you did, but I have to ask anyways... did you make sure to hook up power to the card? Also, what is your power supply ratings? It may be your power supply can't handle the load.

Edited by makai, 22 December 2005 - 05:01 PM.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I dont think it is the power supply because the card was fine yesterday, until i turned off vertical sync and upped the refresh rate on my lcd. But i will check tonight after i get out of work and let u know the specs on my power supply. I found the card lagging alot and not getting good fps so i tried to fix it and i think my monitor is out of sync with the x850. Thank you for your help.

Dunleavy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It cant actually be out of sync as such, it does kinda sound that the PSU is a possible factor its a meaty card and needs alot of power, although i cant believe you put an x850 into a P4 1.8ghz system the CPU will be bottlenecking the card severely.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Whoa! You upped the refresh rate on your LCD??? You should never do that. LCDs don't really have a refresh rate... well they do, sorta, but it should be left at 60hz. If you up the refresh rate too high, you can damage the LCD.

When you get home tonight, power up the computer with your old card, lower the refresh rate back down to 60hz, then try your new card again.

What's the response time of your LCD by the way? If it's around 25ms, then you are going to see ghosting and lagging and nothing you do with vertical sync or refresh rate is going to help it. Nowadays, 25ms is really slow for gaming... better to have 16ms or 8ms.

Edited by makai, 22 December 2005 - 05:51 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most LCDs can take 60HZ or 70HZ i would be surprised if it gave you the option to put it above that most dont for the reason they dont go any higher.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, my Viewsonic V912b will go up to 85hz vertical. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah some go higher but you can burn them in at that high( i know LCD isnt supposed to burn in but they pick up odd coloured dead pixels) damage from high frequency is only prominent on smaller LCDs though the bigger they are the more forgiving they are to that kind of thing, i did say most mines goes to 80 (although i set it so its not available in device manager as there isnt an advantage with LCDs running it higher)

LCDs are weird, they dont follow all the old fashioned monitior tweakings and settings.

Although im even more in love with LCD after sticking my PC into my dads new 32" HDTV its so friggin cool, CoD2 on 32" in high def.

ahh well whould stop before i start rambling, is this guy coming back or have we scared him away?

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK i turned the refresh rate back down but that doesnt seem to have done any thing. I get the win xp screen still but when it goes to login the screen just turns black and the lcd still blinks. The card is getting power because the fan is moving. Monitor is fine, worked perfectly with my x700pro. I'd like to try a new power supply but i dont have one with enough power. The stock one was 185, i now put in a 450watt and it worked fine for the first 2 days until i played with those two settings.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dunleavy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is the PSU a quality one or a cheapo nobrand one, try booting it into safe mode.

Edited by warriorscot, 23 December 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have to ask this question because it's quite important. Are you reinstalling the correct drivers each time you swap between cards?

I know you can't get anything on the LCD to install the correct driver for the new card, but what you should be doing is uninstalling the driver for the old card and installing the "generic" windows driver before you pull the old card out. Then windows will be using it's generic driver to drive the new card when it powers up.

I know ATI has gone more toward unified drivers, but try using the window generic driver before swapping the new card in.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I will check all the voltages on my PSU and uninstall all drivers and try the generic ones. Hopefully this will work. I will post tomorrow after work and hopefully this wil resolve the issue. I also find that i need a new processor ne how since my gf just bought me FEAR and HL2. I just hope i can get this card to work, it would be a great card to have over my x700 pro. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dunleavy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The catalyst 5.13 drivers are the drivers for both of the cards.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK,

My power supply has these ratings on it.

Max output power 450 watts.
Output:
+12v 20A Max
+5v 40A Max

It is a JPC-450. Came with my new ATX case.

Thanks again everyone...hopefully the psu is the culprit. Also i'm looking into a new processor. Could anyone recommend one (needs to be a pentium 4 socket478 533 fsb) thank you everyone!

Dunleavy

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK I uninstalled everything from Asus and rebooted my computer. I installd the new AGP x850xt and rebooted and after playing in the bios it was on PCI somehow (even tho the card before was agp). Now i am in win xp and everything seems fine. The only problem now is i get a lot of stuttering in games when using my x850xt....is this the bottlenecking i was hearing about? I'm replacing the processor later this week to a 2.8 gig p4. Do you think this will take care of the problem?

Thank you for all of your patience and help....best holiday wishes to you and yours.

Dunleavy