Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

The Chad

The Chad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, here's my problem. Any time I try to access any folder my computer crashes. If I try to open "My Computer", "My Documents" run a search or try to explore my computer crashes. There's no problem with any other programs, I can go online and play games fine.
I keep getting this "Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger" message when my computer crashes and I haven't a clue what it is.
If it's any help here's my HJT log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 19:26:51, on 06/02/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\P2P Networking\P2P Networking.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\winlogon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\cimtk.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.find4u.net/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = ftp=http://www-cache.freeserve.com:8080;http=http://www-cache.freeserve.com:8080
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {81733AEA-50C2-0143-A6CA-38D56855C20A} - C:\WINDOWS\applk.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P2P Networking] C:\WINDOWS\system32\P2P Networking\P2P Networking.exe /AUTOSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msjr32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\msjr32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [svchost] C:\WINDOWS\SVCHOST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: winlogon.exe
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by New.Net
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2B1A8968-6665-482E-99C1-3AB1C9650D84}: NameServer =
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\javaet32.exe

Now I'm not exactly a computer genius or anything so it ould be great if some one could give me a "dumbed down" guide to solve my problem. It's really stressful and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hi The Chad

You have a nasty About:Blank infection. This fix requires several tools that need to be downloaded. Please download these now, we will run them later.

1) About:Buster - Download it and extract it to C:/aboutbuster.
2) CleanUp! - Download it and install it.
3) CWShredder 2.11 - Download it and save it to your desktop.
4) Ad-Aware - Download, install, and update.

Enable hidden files and folders: http://www.bleepingc...torial=62#winme

During the fix do NOT connect to the internet. Unless you can memorize these instructions, it would be a good idea to print them out.

Boot into safe mode:
Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Run AboutBuster
-Click Start to begin the process
-Click OK on the Buster Report dialogue box to start the scan
AboutBuster scans the computer for malicious files and deletes them.
Save the report (copy and paste into Notepad and save as a .txt file) to post a copy for review.

Run CWShredder
-Next, click on the: ‘Fix’ button
-Follow the prompts, and press OK

Run CleanUp
-Make sure it is on Standard Mode
-Click the "CleanUp!" button

Run Ad-Aware
-Configure Ad-Aware for a full system scan
-Run it

Reboot into normal mode (simply restart your computer as you normally would), and run the following free, online virus scans:

Then restart your computer one more time and post a new HJT log as well as the About:Buster log I asked you to save earlier.

kc :tazz:

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, I am having the exact same problem. I downloaded Hijack This but when I run it it says it has experienced an error and has to close. Kinda puts a kink in allowing me to post the log file here...

Hi phishmarisol

Please download the old version off Hijack this

Then start a new topic in your own thread

kc :tazz:

As there has been no reply from the original poster, this topic is now closed.
Should you have any further problems please create a new Topic.

Edited by bananafanafo, 07 April 2005 - 01:31 AM.