Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hdd not showing

• Please log in to reply

starcraft

starcraft

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
hi i just bought a new HDD and am having a spot of bother with it .. i had an old secondery hdd which i replaced with this new one, i took out the old plugged in the exact same cables and so on .. switched on the pc, it showed up on start up that it was there and when windows loaded it poped up in the bottom right saying a new disk drive had been found and that new hardware had been detected but when i go in to my computer folder its not there so i went to the device manager to check everything was ok and it said it was working , i then done a check for new drivers and it said that everything was up to date .. have i missed something out ?

thanks for any help in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click my computer > manage > disk manager....does the drive show up there? if so...what does it say about it?

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
a convert and initialize window pops up .. the disk says its unalocated,

do i need to run that pop up thing ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to format and partition the drive yes

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok thanks .. i just leave the default settings and click ok or do i need to change any of them ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what are the defaults?