Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

driver_power_state_failure error

• Please log in to reply

vashts27

vashts27

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've got a driver power state failure blue screen when I go to shut down windows. I've narrowed the problem to norton ghost (which I installed as part of norton system works premier 2005)

I'd rather not part ways w/ ghost, and I was wondering if anyone else had run into this problem and found a way to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Might want to check out these two links.

Troubleshooting a Stop 0x9F Error in Windows XP
Troubleshooting a Stop 0x9F Error in Windows XP Part 2

Let me know how those work for you.

Good luck!

B

vashts27

vashts27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
like I said, got it narrowed down to norton ghost, and when I ran live update, ghost didn't update for some reason or another.... I'm thinking I may just have to find an alternate solution to backing up my drive.... know of any other software for back ups that does a weekly back up of a drive?

thanks

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

I don't really see what makes you think that Norton Ghost is the problem for this error. I searched for that error you are getting and nothing about Norton Ghost came up. I am thinking it's a driver issue, and it couldn't hurt to try those links I posted. I also, think the Norton Ghost issue, is a seperate problem all together.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 06:10 PM.

vashts27

vashts27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That particular error can also be caused by back up or antivirus software. I tried testing the drivers as per the links you posted before posting here, and if you're still not convinced, I removed ghost just to test my theory, and it fixed the problem.

Thanks for the assist though, it's still appreciated.

Again, any recomendations on other back up software would be appreciated

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hmm..Ok, my mistake, sorry about that. I'm still trying to figure why Norton Ghost would do that. Let me do some further research and see what I can find. In the mean time, here is an alternative you might want to try.

Dantz - RetroSpect
Highly recommened, and works well.

Once, again, sorry. I will do some further research and see what I can find for you about Norton Ghost.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 06:27 PM.

vashts27

vashts27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No need for apologies, and I appreciate the help w/ the research... I've been looking around all day and found no actual "reason" that ghost would do this, only the statment that back up software could cause that stop error. If you find out why I'd love to know, just for curiosity's sake.

thanks

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Yeah, this is very strange, I have searched and searched and came up very empty handed. I have also talked to a few people, and everyone was stumped. They had no idea, why Norton Ghost would cause that. Well, if you find any information on this problem, I would love to know. This way if I see it in the future I will know how to fix it. If I happen to stumble upon something I will make sure to post it.

B

vashts27

vashts27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
when I googled it the only thing I turned up was a couple message board posts addressing the issue.... but they were in french and the google translater failed me.... I'm thinkin I may translate them somewhere else later on in hopes of shedding some light on the subject. aside from that I've seen mention of back up and antivirus progs causing the problem, but no info on fixing the problem so that the software works right.... oh well, I may give retrospect a try, thanks for the recomendation.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
No problem. I actually found the same things, but I couldn't translate them either. Well, if anyone else knows anything about this problem, please post, it will be a great help. Thanks.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

j4bberw0ck

j4bberw0ck

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Was interested to find this via Google. Just installed Ghost 9 on my laptop (XP Home SP2) and immediately found the same shutdown error. Removed Ghost, problem disappears. Also had issues with applications restarting after leaving the pc for a while; it's plugged in to the mains 95% of the time and I've shut off all the power saving features while it is. But after 20 minutes or so of idle time, applications won't start from the desktop icon. Again, with Ghost out the way, no problem.

Several of the French boards refer to Kaspersky 5 as well, when it co exists with Ghost. I use Kaspersky 5 but am d4mned if I'm giving it up - I trust it.

Nothing on the Symantec site or MS support sites about Ghost specifically.

I wonder whether the others who've had this problem aree using laptops or have power saving enabled in a desktop pc?

j4bberw0ck

j4bberw0ck

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just installed Ghost 9 from the same CD on my main pc - a desktop / Athlon 3000 / Win XP Pro / 1GB RAM - no problem at all. Shuts down normally. Not running Kaspersky on that one - Panda instead.

So, Kaspersky a possibility, also the power saving settings in laptop pcs.

j4bberw0ck

j4bberw0ck

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Following reply received from Symantec Tech Support:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that after installing Norton Ghost 9.0 you are not able to shutdown your system and you are getting error message " DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE".

Mark, please note that this issue is not common. This issue can arise, if other startup programs are conflicting with Norton Ghost 9.0 during system start. In that case in order to resolve this issue, please perform a clean boot and check whether this issue is resolved.

To perform a clean boot please refer to the following document provided in the link below:

Title: 'Configuring Windows XP to clean boot'
Document ID: 2001053014402339
>Web URL:
http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

In the second step of disabling the services in the above document, after checking Hide all Microsoft Services, in the left over services, please do not disable the Norton Ghost service, please leave it checked and then click Apply and close and then reboot.

Please note that this issue can also occur due to the compatibility between the Norton Ghost 9.0 and the Windows XP SP2 Data Execution Prevention (DEP) policy. In order to resolve this issue you need to configure DEP to work with Norton Ghost. To perform this procedure, please refer to the following document provided in the link below:

Title: 'Norton Ghost 9.0 compatibility with Windows XP Service Pack 2'
Document ID: 2004101410380862
> Web URL:
http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance in using the Symantec Product.

Regards,

Arun Senthil
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hopefully, this may solve the issue. Hopefully. :tazz:

j4bberw0ck

j4bberw0ck

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: Needless to say it made no d@mn difference whatever. Acronis True Image here I come. Second time I've bought Symantec / Norton software; second time I've ahd a fundamental problem and no support from them.

Never again.

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
this may not help but i have/had norton anti virus 2005 and 2002 and they were all good and stuff i thought but everything i would have them on my computer all the errors i would get would be related to them. i have found that if i have 10000 viruses it still runs better than having anything norton installed.