Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Problem.

• Please log in to reply

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Last night I turned my PC off to go to bed, no problems from it all day.

Today, I wake up to get on it and it turns on, but the monitor doesn't. The orange (idle) let stays on. I get no POST beeps,either.

Parts you may need to know are:
MSI K8N Neo4-F motherboard
MSI 6600GT PCI-X videocard.

No problems before. I have tried the "Simple" things so far:

Checked to make sure wires are in tight
Made sure video card is connecting good to motherboard
Tried booting in safe mode (Holding F5)
Reseted the CMOS

I don't have another video card to try, or another computer to try that video card in (This computer I'm on is AGP.)

Well, thanks for any help or ideas.

Advertisements

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
disconnect everything except power plug at the back, turn computer on, it should beep cus nothing is connected. then turn the computer off and connect everything, then turn on the computer, tell me if that works

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because that board uses an Award BIOS, and Award BIOSes like to print messages on screen as opposed to beeping (which they only do if they find something wrong with graphics), my first inclination is to assume graphics.

Other things to try:

Take out the video card. It should now beep at you if the board doesn't have onboard graphics.

Take out the memory, one stick at a time if appropriate, swap them, leave them out and power up with no memory in.

Reseat the processor.

Take the battery out, try another battery.

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
First response:
Tried it. Nothing.

Second response:
Took out video card, no onboard video = No beeps still.
One RAM stick - Nothing. Both RAM sticks - Nothing. = No beeps, still.
Take out the battery, tried another = Nothing.
Unhooked the harddrive from the power = nothing.

The screen refuses to come on.
No beeps, nothing.

sad thing is, this is a new card that I had for a replacement after the last one was bugged.

Any ideas now?

Edit: I'm pretty sure that its my video card, or my motherboard ingeneral. Tomorow I will go and try another PCI or PCI-X card in it and see if that fixes it.

Thanks all.

Edited by guttermouth punk, 22 December 2005 - 09:29 PM.

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Didn't make it to the store today cause of Holiday Rush... They'll be opened Monday though.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

I'm thinking its the video card (still) or my Northbridge (how would I be able to tell if it is?).. MAYBE myemp Gauge, etc and tried to use video card, nothing.) PSU but everythin else works fine (I even unplugged my LEDs, T

thanks again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To me it looks like your power supply unit is faulty. If you don't get any beeps when all memory modules and video card are out (assuming you have a workable system speaker) the problem is either with the power supply, motherboard or cpu. In most cases it's the power supply.

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
My speaker works.

I tried something "new" today..

I put in my mom's multimedia keyboard (all the little lights and buttons) and the lights come on, but I tried to hold a bunch of keys to make it "beep" and still no beeps.

What way would be best for me to check the power supply? I have a multimeter laying around somewhere and know how to check the voltages correctly.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since there are a number of volatges to be checked the easyest and surest way to check the power supply unit is to replace it temporarily with another unit from pulled from another computer. It's very easy.

By the way, are you sure that your speaker is working? If you don't hear any beep you can only check the speaker by applying power from an external source.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw--I thnk it is the powe supply

A PSU supplies three different voltages...12, 5,3.3

A faulty power supply cna lose one "rail" and still appear to be turning the PC on, for example, if the 12volt and 5 volt works, the fans will spin up and the lights will work, but your motherboard, cpu and video will not work.