Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crashing when converting audio/video files

• Please log in to reply

bombproofgp

bombproofgp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my computer has started restarting, freezing, or having to close the application carrying out the conversion when I try and convert audio and video files (e.g. wavs into mp3s). I have a vague idea it might be a driver problem or something.... I've installed my ipod recently but otherwise I haven't changed the drivers in ages. Any idea why its doing this?! It's driving me mad!!!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what are you trying to do exactly? need some more info like applications involved, ect. system specs would help as well.

bombproofgp

bombproofgp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It first did it in itunes (converting wmas to mp3s) and I thought it was just an itunes problem as I've never had problems with this before, so I downloaded some other programmes (e.g. mediamonkey) which have all had the same problem. And the same goes for converting video (Video convert master christmas edition). I have a programme I've been using for a couple of months (Power MP3 WMA converter) without a single problem but now that also crashes almost every time I try to convert a file.

I've got Windows XP with an AMD Athalon processor, 1.51GHz, 512mb of RAM, an ATI graphics card (RADEON 8500) and a Creative SB Audigy soundcard... Don't know what else to include as system spec. But none of this has changed recently (except installing ipod as I mentioned before) so I don't understand why the computer's doing this!!