Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

bdodd

bdodd

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

Just tried to install a Epson CX6600 printer to a Dell machine with XP Pro. When we plug in the cable during the SW install process we get an error "Cannot install this hardware...... The RPC Server is Unavailable".

I tried Epson CustSupt and they said the problem was with the operating system and to call Dell or M$. Well, Dell wants $99 to fix the out of warranty machine.

I searched M$/kb and found a similar problem for NT machines. They said could be a problem with Spoolss.exe or Spoolss.dll. I searched and don't have a Spoolss.exe file on the machine; I have 4 spoolss.dll files on the machine. (I may have deleted spoolss.exe because it kept trying to go to the internet - can't remember -- it was a year ago).

Anyway, one of the NT fixes was to copy a file from another NT machine and save it on the problem machine.

Will this trick work for XP Pro too? What should I do?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
<enter>

Look for REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL SERVICE, double click it, set the startup type to AUTOMATIC and reboot.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the suggetion GerryF, we need to take others this one didn't help.

When I go to Remote Procedure Call Service, the Startup Type is already Automatic, and the Service Status is Started. The Startup Type is GRAYED OUT. The options to start.stop are all grayed out too. No changes are possible in this area.

I went to Remote Procedure Call Locater and turn this service on, I can change things here.

I went to Printer Spooler, I think it was set to Manual but I set it to Automatic, it was stopped. I tried to start it and received the following dialog

"Services (dialog header). Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1058" The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled device."

So can anyone help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, re-reading what you write in your first post--did you say you deleted

spoolsv.exe

?

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
gerryf,

I searched the hard drive and found that a copy of spoolsv.exe is in the \Windows\System32\ folder. I vaguely remember when setting this machine up for my parents last Christmas that something kept trying to run (was trapped by zonealarm); so I tried to stop it. It may have been spoolsv.exe. I really don't remember clearly.

Anyway, a copy of spoolsv.exe is in the \Windows\System32\ folder. There are are other copies in other folders too:
C:\I386\, (SPOOLSV.EXE is ALL CAPS) 50KB
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ (lowercase) 50KB
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB896423$ (lowercase) 57KB
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (lowercase) 57KB
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$|KB896423\SP2QFE (lowercase) 57KB
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989 (lowercase) 57KB

Also found a copy in my Documents and Settings folder named spoolsv.exe.html dated August 2005. I was visiting my parents then and was probably fooling around with the computer doing my "maintenance - updates, etc).

What next?

Thanks for your help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Remove any epson CD

Download the latest drivers from here

http://www.epson.com...oType=Downloads

You want this one

[+] Printer Driver v5.5cAs
Windows XP, Windows 2000
epson11314.exe - 5.4MB - posted on 01/18/05

Disconnect printer (remove cable)

Go to Control Panel > Printers---remove all printers by right clicking and choosing delete--if it asks you if you want to delete unused files, say yes.

Turn off computer. Connect printer to USB port and TURN IT ON.

Turn on the computer.

Let windows try and install the printer without any help installing the CD or the drivers you downloaded above. Have windows install install default drivers if it can.

If the add hardware function fails, just say ok.

Run the downloaded drivers.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi gerryf...

Same end result. When I powered up the PC, it recognized the new hardware but failed to set up the printer. I rebooted the PC then ran the downloaded Epson driver and got the same message. I rebooted again, the PC recognized the printer as a new printer but still wasn't able to set it up. So I tried to print and was told that a printer needed to be installed. It gave me the option to install a printer; when I click on the option, it tells me that the print spooler service isn't running.

I noticed that some of the WinXP components can be repaired via *.inf files (See Tweak #34 in the pinned thread Easy XP Tweaks Second Edition". I searched for all the *.inf files on the machine and found a couple that may be related: PRINTUPG.INF in the I386 and Windows\Inf folders, and PRTUPG9X.INF in the I386 and Windows\Inf folders. I don't know if these will help, just a thought.

I'm standing by for expert assistance and following the logical diagnosis and repair process!!

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by bdodd, 24 December 2005 - 10:29 AM.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi gerryf,

My last post contains responses to your last suggestions. Unfortunately the suggestions didn't contain the silver bullet.

Any other suggestions short of (A) trying to reinstall xp and all the other stuff or (B) calling Dell for their $99 solution (which I suspect will be to use the restore CD)?

Hope you had a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday with your family and friends.

Thanks and standing by......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
START > CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS and FAXES.

Right click and Delete EVERYTHING, even working printers or psuedo printers like a pdf maker

Now, with the window empty, go to top menu, choose FILE > SERVER PROPERTIES, then go to the DRIVERS tab and select and DELETE anything you find in the box.

Now, I have attached the cleanspool utility from the Windows 2003 server resource kit...it will work on xp

run it, fill in your computer name

(right click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES, choose COMPUTER NAME tab if you do not know it)

This should completely clear any remnant of printer from your pc

Try installing the printer now, following instruction provided with printer

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
After viewing some other threads, I took a look at services.msc to see what was disabled. Here's a list of what's disabled: Alerter, Clipbook, Human Interface Device Access, Messenger, Network DDE, Network DDE DSDM, Routing and Remote Access, and Telnet.

Maybe this helps???

..... Just saw your last post. Let me do that and I'll post results. Fingers crossed....

Edited by bdodd, 26 December 2005 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

START > CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS and FAXES.

Right click and Delete EVERYTHING, even working printers or psuedo printers like a pdf maker========>>Nothing present to delete. There were no printers, faxes, PDF writers loaded.

Now, with the window empty, go to top menu, choose FILE > SERVER PROPERTIES, then go to the DRIVERS tab and select and DELETE anything you find in the box.============>> Server properties cannot be viewed, print spooler service not running.

Now, I have attached the cleanspool utility from the Windows 2003 server resource kit...it will work on xp===================>> Attached??? Where do I find the cleanspool utility?

run it, fill in your computer name

(right click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES, choose COMPUTER NAME tab if you do not know it)

This should completely clear any remnant of printer from your pc

Try installing the printer now, following instruction provided with printer

Since there were no printers at all, are we on the right track?

Standing by...

I _DO_ appreciate your attempts to help!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
even if there was nothing in the window, please check the FILE > SERVER PROPERTIES

maybe something there

and oops, forgot to attach the cleanspooler utility

Attached Files

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK. Tried to CleanSpooler too.

Computer name not under RClick MyComp\Prop (no SystemName tab).Had to find computer name under ctrl pnl/system/ but did so.

Rand CleanSpooler, put in comp name, prompted to remove all spoolers (or something like that) and received the following message:

"Unable to open the service manager on computer '\\2004 Dell'. The RPC Server in unavailable."

Ya ever think this computer is doomed to never be married to a printer?

Thanks again, standing by..............

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ohh...

I should confirm that before and after the cleanspooler I went to cntrl pnl/printers n faxes File>Properties and I get the message:

"Server properties cannot be viewed, print spooler service not running".

I never have an option to view the Drivers tab.

Is there any hope of a fix without an XP reinstall? Is there an *.inf file that will fix/repair this?

Edited by bdodd, 27 December 2005 - 04:05 PM.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is a Dell PC with the Dell restore CD. I think this means that the option to "repair" normally available for full install CDs isn't available. Is this correct?

I'm running out of time on my Christmas visit to my parents. I need to get this fixed one way or another before I leave.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix the RPC Server problem? :tazz: