Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
bad news I think.

I used my nieces account and tried the net start spooler command; got the same error message 1058.

I also checked the services and they all seemed to match the settings I changed things to last night.

I set up a new account... it took quite a while (several minutes) to create it - seemed very much longer than at work where I set up accounts on standalone machines for new users.

I looked at services, they seemed to match those established yesterday.

I tried the net start spooler command and got a NEW error as follows:

System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

rats!!!

I'll try to install printer but I don't have much hope.

ideas??

Edited by bdodd, 29 December 2005 - 10:17 PM.

Advertisements

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, can't add the printer in the new account either. I checked the system error 5 - it was something about not being administrator, but it gave me the chance to log in with an administrator's login and I did.

Now I'm contemplating the registry edit versus letting dell take their stab tomorrow.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I went into regedit to take a look at what I'd be getting into.

There is no

But their is a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\.......\LEGACY_SPOOLER (I think that's what it was called).

The other keys that were NOT to be deleted were present, all of them, no others (other than the ....\LEGACY_SPOOLER above).

So I'm not doing anything until I know what to do.

What the heck is going on with this machine???? How could this have gotten so fouled up????

Final thoughts / ideas??

Edited by bdodd, 30 December 2005 - 12:46 PM.

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
What do you think Dell's solution is going to be?

bdodd

bdodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, here's an update after 85 minutes on the phone with a person at Dell (after being on hold for more than 20 minutes waiting for a tech). This is for the $99 Dell On Call service where they guaranty (sp) to fix the machine.

They couldn't fix it either. I did learn that the CD I have is a full install CD of XP Pro. That's bad in this case cuz it looks like I need to do a complete reinstall. If I could have restored the original image that might have been better.

She gave me a tinyurl to download and install a file, I think to try to fix the spooler. It didn't work. I got a net_helpmsg_3521 error afterwards. That just says the "***" service is not started. (I've known the #%@&! service hasn't been started for a week!).

sfc /scannow didn't fix the problem, she didn't think it would.

She said she was confident that after an hour, if she couldn't fix it, then I was in for a complete reinstall.

MUCH THANKS to those of you who tried to help, especially gerryf.

Looks like I'll be taking this PC and printer back home with me, to do a complete reinstall then ship back to my dad.

Any last words of wisdom from you gurus?

RedPig

RedPig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This maybe a little late but.
I have come upon this same problem with epson cx3800 installation. Did a search and came upon this form/thread and read it. I was hoping for a good result, which did not happen at that time :woot:
But I decided to look at my RPC and notice that that in the "login" you have 2 choices on how the log will login :) .
But anyway I have found that windows, for some reason, has it set-up for an account with a password (its some kind of security thing). Then I recall reading somewhere that you do not have to have this set up with a password if you have firewalls and an anti-virus running. So I just click on Local System account and checked "allow service to interact with desk top". And "SHA ZAM" it loaded. :tazz:
Sometime ignorance is bliss :)

Edited by RedPig, 14 January 2006 - 11:22 AM.

JimmyDukes

JimmyDukes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I was getting all the exact same error messages and tried everything else on this page:

http://support.micro...u...&sid=global

This finally worked

note:
1- i didnt go to safemode
2- i had a Key called Legacy_Spooler, i deleated that.

went to cmd and tried the net start, everything is hunkey dorey now.
thanks guys.