Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

odd problem after last update

• Please log in to reply

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
ok, I myself use FF, but here is the problem.

Everytime my wife wantst to go somewhere else on the web with IE, she doesn't like FF, she can't go anywhere. this all started after my last windows update. At the same time, anytime I use Windows explorer to work with a program, I go to find a file in a specific spot and it, and it freezes up, using 100% CPU cycle.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know my system is malware free, for obvious reasons.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The obvious question is did you uninstall the Windows update(s)

Sounds like a corrupted update off the top of my head

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
yes I tried that, no joy :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

ok, I myself use FF, but here is the problem.

Everytime my wife wantst to go somewhere else on the web with IE, she doesn't like FF, she can't go anywhere.

What do you mean, cannot go anywhere? 404 error? What does IE show her

At the same time, anytime I use Windows explorer to work with a program, I go to find a file in a specific spot and it, and it freezes up, using 100% CPU cycle.

What specific spot. Does it occur in other spots?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
ok, just a quick update on what all I have done since my last reply,

did sfc /scannow
tried restore points (2)
cleared all cache files X2

now for the latest info, still the same problems. not getting a 404 or any error for the matter. the browser "hangs" for like 5 minutes when I type in a url. If I use a link, no problem goes immediately.

as for the Windows explorer issue, if I go and click on the drop down box in any program to browse to another location for files, it acts like the system is frozen or the cpu is maxed out, However, when I open Task Manager only 2% of my CPU is in use.

And now when I go and click on "My Comptuer" i get that lovely flashlight icon like it can't find the system. Images included so you can see what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails

• DRPDWN.jpg
  • MYCOMP.JPG

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
enter

disable Windows Image Acquisition service

Also, open MY COMPUTER and choose TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS
Change SINGLE CLICK, to DOUBLE CLICK.

Reboot.

Better?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
well, all I did was disable the service didn't even reboot yet, and it was working perfectly.

BTW, I have the single click set up for my son to easily use the system. he's five and doesn't quite understand the doubleclick since he has been using single click since WinME.

Thanks GerryF,

believe it or not I was on chat with MS Support and the guy I was talking to couldn't figure it out either.