Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my boyfriend logging onto my email?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

1fog

1fog

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe my boyfriend may be logging into my Yahoo email account. I do not want to change the password because I would like to get proof I can confront him with. Is there a way to find out if he is logging into my account? Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Do you think he is logging on from the same computer you are using or a different one?

If it is the same computer do you use the same login or a different login?

1fog

1fog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
He is logging from a different compute, any advice?

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Email Yahoo, and ask them for an IP listing of say the last ten logins to your email address.
Apart from that, I don't think theres another way.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
yeah, if he is logging into your Yahoo acct from a different computer, I am afraid there is not much you can do. Or at least nothing I can think of besides what aslyfox said.

1fog

1fog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tx guys. I tried calling yahoo. They told me Id have to email security and exlplain what I wanted. I did that, but only received what looked like a nonspecific, generic response on email security. I replied to their email saying I wanted more specic info, but yet to hear from them. I will wait for response and if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Is there any tracking software that would help? Tx again.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Would it not just be far easier to just change your Yahoo password and have done with it?

That way if you change it and then you suspect he's still logging in, you'll know he's somehow getting it.

On the other hand, if you're telling Yahoo Mail to remember your username and password (with no auto timeout), or if your browser is set up to remember usernames and password automatically (as can be done with Firefox) then of course everytime he goes to the website, he won't have to actually type anything.

Edited by Neil Jones, 24 December 2005 - 04:34 AM.

1fog

1fog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I want to be able to confront him. If I change the psswd then I will have no proof. I believe he is doing this from his computer as he knows my password.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'm probably going to startt an argument here on various sides but I think it has to be asked.

Why does your boyfriend know the password to your email in the first place? Or have you set it to something obvious like your name, date of birth, date of first date, etc? If so then you're asking for trouble.

One issue I have to mention about the "email Yahoo for IP addresses" is that if you're both using the same internet connection in the same house, you're going to have the same IP address. Which would mean nothing. And anyway even if the IPs go to a different ISP, it still doesn't prove anything, just that somebody was on at that time with that address on that provider.

I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill over this issue. Change your password, get it over with and move on. If you're using an obvious password that the two of you could easily guess (such as the criteria I mentioned above) then I'm sorry but you should know better than that.

KindKill

KindKill

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well as far as im concerned, if it bothers you, then keep trying to find out if its for sure him. May seem like a stupid little thing to that guy, but it could be bothering you. A IP listing could/would help you, but if your possitive that someone else is going onto the e-mail account, then when you got the listing back, it would have IP's and you would have to know his IP to verify it was him. Why don't you try something easier like making a second/false e-mail address, sending something that would interest him a lot, like a message from another guy, and wait til he opens it. Don't open it first, so it counts it as an unread message, you will know it was from you, while he would not be able to hold the suspesion, and eventually open it. Might get him a little mad in the process, but you would find out if he was or not.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Although, we have empathy for you and your current situation, this type of conversation makes us uncomfortable as a board. This topic is closed.