Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't update Windows, nor Norton

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm curious too, however i can't seem to find the view objects button. if reinstalling SP2 helps please let me know. As i want that to be last resort.

Advertisements

Bo-G13

Bo-G13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
SP2 would not reinstall on the machine, says it doesnt have the proper registration. Not sure why you can not find the View Objects button, should be under Tools/ Internet Options/ Settings. If you cant find it there then look at C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files. I would try reinstalling SP2, should not change any settings on your computer, my next step is to reinstall XP from the disk. I have sent an e-mail to Microsoft so I am waiting for their response first.

Edited by Bo-G13, 06 January 2006 - 10:48 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
wow i don't know how i missed that button, and i have no errors. But i have contacted my uncle who is a computer engineer and he can't really think of 1 possible reason that would cause this. He knows of many so i'm going to try and get him to come over to my place and trouble shoot the problem. Since he knows a way more then me, hopefully he will find something and if he does i will let you know.

Bo-G13

Bo-G13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heres what I got back from Microsoft......

This error code 0x8024D007 can occur if any of the following conditions are true:

1. The related ActiveX Control or XML components are corrupted
2. Windows Update temporary folders contain corrupted files.
3. Some system protected files are corrupted.

I suggest we try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Suggestion 1: Re-register the relevant ActiveX Control components
=====================================
1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL" (without the quotes" in the "Open" dialog box, and click "OK". When prompted with the "DllRegisterServer in WUWEB.DLL succeeded" windows click "OK" to continue.
3. Repeat the above step with each of the files below:

MSXML3.DLL
ATL.DLL
WUAPI.DLL
WUAUENG.DLL
WUAUENG1.DLL
WUCLTUI.DLL
WUPS.DLL
JSCRIPT.DLL

After we have registered the above five components, lets please visit the Windows Update site again and see if our issue has been resolved.

Please check if you receive any error when trying to re-register these components. If not, please try to visit the Windows Update site again. If yes, please let me know which files cannot be registered properly.

Suggestion 2: Rename the Windows Update temporary folder
==========================
One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, find and then rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

After performing the above steps please try to access Windows Update again. If the issue persists, let us refer to the following suggestion.

Suggestion 3: Clear CatRoot2 folder and reset Internet Explorer settings.
===========================
This error can occur if another temporary folder of Windows Update has been corrupted. I suggest we delete this folder to test the issue:

1. Click Start, Run, type: %windir%\system32 and press Enter.
2. In the opened folder, find a folder named CatRoot2 and delete it.
Please also clear the Internet Explorer cache, and reset the Internet Explorer options:

1. Click Start, Run, type: inetcpl.cpl and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
2. Click "Delete Cookies" and select Yes to confirm.
3. Click "Delete Files" and select Yes to confirm.
4. Click Settings, click "View Objects". Delete all the objects in this folder. If some objects cannot be deleted, please restart the computer and try again.

5. Switch to the Security tab, select Internet and click "Default Level".
6. Switch to the Privacy tab, and click "Default" button.
7. Switch to the Advanced tab, click the "Restore Defaults" button and then deselect the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option.
8. Click OK.

Suggestion 4: System File Checker
======================

I suggest you use the System File Checker. The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows XP CD to the CD-ROM.
2. Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.
3. Click Start, and click Run.
4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and click OK.
Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow".

For more information, please refer to this article:

Title: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
Link: http://support.micro...KB;EN-US;310747

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Bo, I do not think you and James are experiencing the same issue.

That is a Windows UPdate fix, but he is facing a problem with both Windows update and Norton

James,

I think the change from cable to dsl is relevent

Open Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
Quit Internet Explorer.
Click on Start, and then click Run.
Type cmd in the Open box to get a DOS prompt.
net stop wuauserv
Type
proxycfg -d
press Enter.
proxycfg -u
press Enter.
net start wuauserv

Reboot, try again

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
this is blank just relized that you hadn't done post 19

Edited by james_8970, 07 January 2006 - 12:06 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i do the last step and it says "the requested service has already started"

Edited by james_8970, 07 January 2006 - 12:07 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
can anyone here help? Still confuesed on whats going on here
thanx
James

eungean

eungean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
James, I had exactly the same problem for about two weeks, and I had spent many many many hours to see if something is wrong with my computer or if I got any virus/spyware/malware... Like you, I had switched from dial up to cable broadband around the time when my problem started. Yes, the problem was a modem. I have no idea why, but for some reason, the modem affected my computer configuration. I spoke to Microsoft tech for about three to four hours, but everything seemed fine with my computer. After the phone call, my husband switched back to dial up, and I could get updates again from Windows and Norton. So, we went out and bought a new cable modem, installed it, and it works fine now. I hope this helps (I know how frustring it is, believe me.) By the way, is your modem "Webstar?" Mine was, and he was the bad guy.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i switch from DSL to broadband, so i don't have the modem to replace. But like you it seems this is going to take some time to find. Thanx alot for the suggestion, going to reconnect my router this weekend and hopefully it'll get running proporly again.
thanx
James

EDIT: just thought when i changed from DSL to broadband my IP address changed, by any chance could Microsoft and Norton link your serial code to your IP address and if it changes they deni access to the updates to try and prevent the illegal software from getting through? By any chance could they mistakenly block be because of this?

Edited by james_8970, 30 January 2006 - 10:04 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not likely...ip addresses change all the time even with all the broadband flavors

MAC addresses are machine specific and have run into a few programs that do tie themselves to that, but not windows update or Norton.

going back to the above advice,,,I do not think you followed it correctly by your last message

this first line is critical--your message indicated you did not type it

net stop wuauserv
proxycfg -d
press Enter.
proxycfg -u
press Enter.
net start wuauserv

finally, start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
ipconfig /flushdns
<enter>

eungean

eungean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just a note, it wasn't only Windows and Norton that I couldn't get updates installed. It was everything, Adaware, other spyware/malware programs, and etc. It's a good point about IP address, but if that was the case, why couldn't I get free spyware removers downloaded and installed? They sure done't need any authentications. Hmmmmm....

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
i also have a problem with windows updates. i can update norton fine but this is what happens when i go on http://update.microsoft.com
nothing comes up but it's not loading because it says done in the bottom corner

Attached Thumbnails

• windows_update.JPG

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
eungean and Supercalifragilistic please if you need any assitance what so ever please creat another topic it makes it much easier and less confussing! Also Supercalifragilistic i have hint for you, if your going to do a screen shot, it's an idea not to be running illegal software! Suggestion from me BUY THINGS LEGALY!

Now getting back on topic, ok yes you where right i didn't type that line in, however i did so now, rebooted and still no success on either. Any other idea's?
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 January 2006 - 04:29 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
wat do u mean?

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 30 January 2006 - 04:33 PM.