Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! my laptop is munted!

• Please log in to reply

peti

peti

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys

recently i got myself a nice virus (yes, i was stupid and opened a dodgy file).. so i figured i'd use system restore to fix it up, but the virus deleted all my restore points, so in a moment of supreme stupidity, i decided to format the computer and install a plain version of XP pro. So heres the problem: the windows that was on my laptop was a toshiba custom install,, it had special drivers and stuff that let me change the screens brightness, output the picture to a monitor, etc etc.. now all that stuff is gone, all the speedstep stuff (take out power cable and reduce screen brightness and processor speed) is all gone. Plus i had a geforce in here, and none of the drivers i download off the net (i've tried them all all) work. And to make things worse i can't even put the [bleep] thing on standby anymore, let alone hibernate it..

And of course my recovery disk (which i didn't think to use in the first place haha) is now absolutely useless given that my computer doesn't know its a toshiba anymore..

Any suggestions other then send it back to the manufacturer?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suggest contacting Toshiba tech support. Perhaps they have some means of assisting you by validating your system and recovery cd to enable you to fix it without sending it back (under warranty I presume?). If you want all of those custom Toshiba bells & whistles, they will have to help.