Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just installed XP, seems to have problems

• Please log in to reply

velasco

velasco

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP Professional. So, first although I can connect to the internet, I cannot
access the pages.

My vendor told me there are firewalls and so I realized I have my Zone Labs firewall. Now I removed it and the Internet works like charm. Though now, there are popups and I fear the safety of the system.

Oooh and I keep getting a popup which seemed 'real' saying WINDOWS SERVICE (I think)
saying your file is corrupted. Run. http://systemreg32.net or something

and some files in my PROGRAM FILES is weird too, never seen them before

Any idea how I can have firewalls to safeguard my computer but in turn, can access my internet?

Edited by velasco, 23 December 2005 - 06:45 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi velasco!

These are popups associated with the Windows Messenger Service. Hopefully you haven't clicked on any of them anywhere besides the red X to close them. :tazz: Anyways, go to START-->RUN and type services.msc. A new window will open with the heading SERVICES. Scroll down the list until you find MESSENGER. Double-click on it to open it's properties window. Now change the STARTUP TYPE to disabled and click the STOP button. Hit APPLY and OK. Reboot your computer and the popups should stop.

Once rebooted, go to windows update (START-->ALL PROGRAMS-->WINDOWS UPDATE) and get all windows updates listed as critical. Just hit the EXPRESS button when the page loads for Windows Update. You will need to go to this site until there are NO MORE CRITICAL UPDATES. Once they are done you should then get some sort of Anti-spyware and Anti-virus program. for Anti-spyware I suggest you get Microsoft Antispyware and for Anti-virus I suggest you get AVG Antivirus. You can find these easily enough by googling for "Microsoft Antispyware" and "AVG Antivirus Free Edition".

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
After you do everything I suggested in my last post, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, upgrade to windows sp2--the "real looking message" means the messenger service is still on. Since SP2 turns it off by default, I would say you have sp1 or earlier loaded.

There are alternative firewalls that are perhaps better choices.

http://www.snapfiles...fwfirewall.html

Kerio and Sygate are good choices

velasco

velasco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thats fast guys :tazz:

I will try those but I don't understand bout the SP thingy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sp=service pack

You need to visit windows update--or, if you have a dial up on this computer you might consider downloading the administrative update from a faster connection, burning it to a CD, and installing it from there.

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

velasco

velasco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Another problem, sorry.

Whenever I go for Windows Update it will redirect to a page of Adultfriender.com and opens a window for PCFIxer.com

erk. any help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

velasco

velasco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
1)Firstly, the adultfriendfinder thingy still exist. Whenever I startup, there is this 'looks real' popup saying ...VCMAINCLIENT.EXE is corrupted or something.
Then they prompt me to connect to the internet and whenever i did, I get to the adultfriendfinder page.Eeks.

2)I tried the malware steps. but question , I installed AVG Free and Adaware SE but on my Startup both these programs are higlited in yellow, very weird. The rest are showing up fine. I did until wanna post HijackThis. I cannot open Hijack This. It sorta close down before I open.:tazz:

Edited by velasco, 24 December 2005 - 10:51 PM.