Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Really more secure?

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Lately, I've been reading a lot about Vista. I heard that security was their main focus. However, knowing that no OS is ever complete and being a programmer myself, I don't think it can be done. Do you think Vista will be towards security? I'm saying it can't be done because even if you isolate the operating system files and other files that make the computer function correctly, malware will still find a way to get into these files. So what do you all think?

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Lately, I've been reading a lot about Vista. I heard that security was their main focus. However, knowing that no OS is ever complete and being a programmer myself, I don't think it can be done. Do you think Vista will be towards security? I'm saying it can't be done because even if you isolate the operating system files and other files that make the computer function correctly, malware will still find a way to get into these files. So what do you all think?

Of course they will be able to find away in, they always will! But I think they can now shun out more mediocre hackers and programmers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it will take some special kinda genius to get into vista, and if they do they can pretty much be guaranteed a job with MS, they have put some of the worlds best/worst malware writers on the payroll and all they do is make viruses and then secure the OS for them, vista is also supposed to be more able to fix itself.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's really too early to say, as no malware has been written specifically for Vista. However, I can tell you I've tried infecting it with some of the nastiest stuff around today, and it comes through with flying colors. Some are able to infect when run as administrator, but they're usually gone at the next reboot. In the next version very few people will run with full admin rights -- as most do now.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I'm just afraid that it will have the Microsoft curse upon it and be able to infect easily. Basically I hope they are completely done with it before they bring it out.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I'm just afraid that it will have the Microsoft curse upon it and be able to infect easily. Basically I hope they are completely done with it before they bring it out.

Not a chance in hades will it be completely done before it gets released. Its never completely done. But Kudos to MS for the strength of the OS. I've tried all kinds of stuff and I can't get it to error. Still trying things so if I get it too blue screen or loose a system file I'll let you know.

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi,

Being a visually impaired computer user, a new OS always concerns me. When XP came out, I had all kind of trouble with my adaptive technology, and hte software that runs it, and I still do. So, Nait Dawg, if you really want to put Vista to the test, you should consider giving adaptive programs a test drive on it. If you, or anyone else, are interested in trying this, go to one of the following sites, and download the trial software.

http://www.aisquared.com/index.cfm
(Screen enlarging programs)

http://www.freedomsc...ea.asp#download
(Screen reader program)

http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/
(various: Screen readers/enlargers, OCR Scanning progrmas, etc)

http://www.kurzweiledu.com/index.asp
(This is an OCR Scanning program, so you can scan text, and it will read it to you.)

If you feel inclined, it would be great to know how these run on vista.

By the way, how does one have toe opportunity to try beta versions of operating systems Nait Dawg?

~ejay563

Edited by ejay563, 01 February 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
WEll my office is on the MSDN list. So we get the beta's for everything microsoft and all the microsoft fixes and service packs free. So I'm lucky there. My sudgestion there is to befriend someone like me who can get you on the in crowd *laughs* You can get yourself on the MSDN list as well, you just have to be a computer tech A+ certified and pay a big chunk of money for the MSDN copies of OS software.

And oh yeah...I'll install those programs and put them to the test on the beta if I'm not too busy tomorrow at work.