Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP preloadded SP2

• Please log in to reply

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a disk with Windows XP professional preloadded with service pack 2. Most of you probably heard of the connectivity bug with the software, and I can't connect to the internet at all. I've tried many different articles onlince without luck. Can someone PLEASE help me with this problem?

Thank in advance

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello linuxisbetter, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I need a bit more info than you provided. You have a disc or you have a computer with XP pre-loaded? If you have a disc, is it an original copy or is it a bootleg or a copy that might have already been registered?

What happens when you try and connect, and are you using DSL, Cable, Dial-Up or what?

If you are using a copy of XP you just purchased, then I just need info about what happend when you try and go online. If it was a bootleg copy or a copy that was already installed on another computer and registered, then many of your problems are because of this fact.

Please provide more info. :tazz:

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's a disk with sp2 preloadded with it. When you install it, it installs the pack with the operating system. It's a known bug with sp2 that doesn't let you connect and saysin network connections,"little or no connection avaliable. I'm using cable broadband.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
cmd
<enter>

type (in commandline box)

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
<enter>

reboot

Fix?

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No that doesn't fix it. I alread tried that and also used another reset command. I get a responce when I ping localhost (4 packets sent/recieved). I just reinstalled the system again and tryed the patch without any success. Any more help would be appreciated.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Microsoft has a patch for certain connectivity issues:

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Try installing the patch, I have a registry fix if that doesn't work for you. Let me know. :tazz:

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have already tried that patch and the registry key, but thanks anyway. Is there any way to extract the service pack and burn to another disk?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
After you purchased your new XP disc, did you do a clean install or just upgrade? (I always recommend a clean install) but if you just did an upgrade, do you have a firewall program that may be blocking your connection? Forgive me if this seems to simple, as I don't know your experience, but many times it's the simple things that cause the problems. :tazz:

If you use a router, it may have bad or missing information. Powercycle your router and/or rebuild the configuration in your router.

Check your network card. Setting the network card to 10Mbps/Full Duplex can solve this issue. Open Control Panel ~~>System ~~>Device Manager. Go to properties, click on the Advanced tab and find the Link Speed and Duplex section. Change it from Auto Detect to 10Mbps/Full Duplex.

Try running a Winsock fix for XP to fix corrupted TCP/IP issues.

Anything work?

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm going to try to do another clean install then do all the fixes over again. It wasn't a firewall because I made sure that none of them were endabled. I'll keep you guys updated over my progress.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Before you do, you might want to describe your connection....

Broadband or dial up?

Home network with cable/dsl router?

Advertisements

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
gerryf: I have a direct broadband connection with no router and the same connection works perfectly on the laptop i'm using. I have read and tried many different possible solution without any luck, so i'm reinstalling the system and applying the patches and running some programs.

Thanks for all the support you guys are giving with my issue. :tazz:

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I just reinstalled a clean copy with sp2 preloadded on to my computer, and it still doesn't work. I've tried all the patches, command prompt commands, and winsock fix program. Does anyone know how to extract sp2 from my installation cd or remove it from windows, it doesn't show up in add/remove programs? What about a technical support number to microsoft (I think they have a hotline for this issue)?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
The booklet that came with your XP disc has the Microsoft support numbers on it, sorry I don't have them handy. As long as your disc isn't a copy or a previously registered install you shouldn't have had this problem with SP2 doing a clean install. :tazz:

I must admit I am puzzled since you said you did a clean install and your disc isn't a bootleg. You said you have direct broadband, no router. Did you get the correct network card driver installed when you installed XP? Are there any errors in the device manager? You do not have software from your ISP that you need to install, do you?

Let us know please what Microsoft says.

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This time I borrowed a legal windows XP Pro disk from a friend with sp1 instead of 2. I'm having the same problems with the computer, except it now says connected and is sending packets, but not recieveing any. I tried to goto websites but it won't recieve any from them. It keeps INSISTING that my IP is: 169.254.152.192 and my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. It says that it is an automatic private address and it won't let repair my connection so I used winsock reset tool. I'm using a SMC EZ card PCI adapter 10, model 1208BTA. I've tried everything to get my original IP address. Please help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try unplugging your cable modem and turning off your PC. Wait 5 minutes MINIMUM and then plug the cable modem back in and wait at least a minute to let it initialize. Then turn on your computer.

Fenor