Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP preloadded SP2

• Please log in to reply

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've tried powercycleing many times but it doesn't work. I just ran network analysis under help and support and passed every test, except it said my IP was invalid. I also called microsoft but they said they couldn't help me with my problem and to ccall this other number that is pay-per-issue.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wait a minute.

You have a dsl connection with no router...you swapped this NEW computer in? (is it new)

The old computer works.

You are getting an automatic IP.

I wonder, and suspect, if your ISP authorizes IP addresses based on MAC addresses (hardware)

Who set up your DSL?

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No I have a cable connection direct without any router, and I set it up. What do you mean by swapping in computers. I have this computer i'm typing on which is a mac laptop, and the other computer i'm working on is a windows XP. I have no problem just plugging the ethernet cable into the mac and getting a static IP address, but when I plug the cable into my windows it just gives me an IP of: 169.254.152.192. I have no idea what to do.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you mean the MAC gets a dynamic IP address.

Plug in the mac, or other PC, boot, and get a dynamic address.

Start > run, cmd
enter

type
ipconfig /all
write down the ip address and subnet, gateway and dns servers

Shut down, hook up your PC, start, right click on Network Place, properties, choose the local area connection, right click, choose properties, choose Internet Protocal, choose PROPERTIES button

choose the USE THE FOLLOWING IP NUMBERS
insert IP, subhet and gateway

choose USE THE FOLLOWING NAME SERVERS
insert dns server numbers..

click OK

reboot,

Work now?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your computer overclocked? Just to make sure that you don't have a BIOS problem I would set it to default values and try again.

Are you sure that you have the correct driver for your LAN card? Did the computer find the driver during XP installation or did you install it latter?

If after checking these points you still have connectivity problems I would suspect the LAN card. First, I would try to move it to another pci slot. If that doesn't help I would try to replace it temporarily with another card.

linuxisbetter

linuxisbetter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I HAVE FINNALY FIXED IT!!!!!! :tazz: My friend came over and we looked at the problem for a while, did alot of trial and error, then he came up with a smart idea to try the router. We plugged it in and the DNS finally resolved! The computer for some reason doesn't resolve without a router. Thanks for all your hellp everyone.

Merry Christmas!!