Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whats better inkjet or laser printers?

• Please log in to reply

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
i seem to have a defective printer right now and i am considering getting rid of it (if i don't bash it with a sledghammer first) and i might be in the market for a new one, i want a color printer and i need quality but i also need bargains, i'm quite poor ya know....so any ideas?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Laser is the best you can get, but inkjet is more than adequate for most people. HP make the better and most common printers.

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
so what exactly is the difference? do you need ink for laser printers?...sorry i'm new to printers

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The difference is that an inkjet uses ink and a laser printer user toner, an electrostic drum and a laser. The quality can be much better on a laser printer, but are typically more expensive.

One suggestion when you are looking for a new printer is to check the cost of the replacement cartridges, both OEM and others. For example, you can get non-OEM inkjet cartridges for an Epson for around $5 each (depending on model). HP cartridges tend to be more expensive since the head is actually part of the cartridge (at least on some models). The Epson 777 is annoying because it has some electronic parts on the cartridge, so it is expensive and the printer complains if you don't use Epson cartridges. The toner cartridges for laser printers can be very expensive, but you also have to look at how long each lasts, which can be hard to determine.