Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading my CPU (GX240)

• Please log in to reply

ranapax

ranapax

• Pip
  • 1 posts
howdy,

i'm new here and was wondering if i could get some input on what kind of upgrades are possible with a dell GX240. i bought it from a government surplus warehouse ($35!). it had the hard drive removed but besides that it is intact. the pentium 4 1.8Ghz processor is working fine, but i would like to upgrade it. what kind of processor would be best and how hard is this kind of operation?

i appreciate any advice i can get....thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The difference you could get by upgrading the processor does not justify the expense. The fastest you possibly go is a 2.26 Gig P4. Finding one at a good price is not likely. The cheapest new ones are about $105. The speed increase over a 1.8 is small enough you might not notice and increase. It would be better to buy more ram and just run the puter until you can afford a newer computer. If you do not have the intel 845D chipset you are limited to PC133 ram. If it is the 845D chipset you can run DDR2100 memory. Get at least 512 mb of memory and enjoy what you have.

SRX660