Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error in memory modules

• Please log in to reply

Methatron

Methatron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm running a Athlon64 FX-51 on a Asus SK8N board with 2x512 Corsair TWINX1024RE-3200LL (REG/ECC wich is required) have runned this system without a problem for 2 years.
SO i bougth a new package of 2 x 512 Corsair TWINX1024RE-3200LL to upgrade to 2GB memory, as soon as i installed the new memory my computer becomes unstable get WIndows Bluscreens and it reboots programs are shutting down fo no reason and so on...
So i downloded Memtest-86 v3.2 and only put in the new memory sticks and run a check and guess what? i found thousends of errors i have also tested my 2 old ram sticks in the same DIMM slots on the MB and they are fine no errors so it's can't be the MB taht is [bleep]ed, is it common that memorys have errors in them? i have never experienced it .

Not:
There is 1 difference between the new and the old memory and that is:

On the 2 OLD ram sticks it says: XMS3200RE v1.1 and the moduels have a sticker on them that says TIWNX.

On the 2 NEW ram sticks i says: XMS3200RE v2.1 and there is no sticker on them taht says TWINX but on the package it says TWINX.

The v1.1 and v2.1 differnce shouldeent matter, but who knows...

So i started to think that they maby have put non TWINX memorys in a TWINX package and sent me =/
Non TWINX memorys are not optemised for Dualchennel so it could be the problem....

Anyone that can give me any hints or leads about this or about errors in ram-stcks?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If memtest is producing thousands of errors then the ram is just bad and needs to be returned, it is not common with corsair memory but can happen.

Make sure you are taking precautions for static electricity when handling the ram.

Rick

Methatron

Methatron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can static electricity do Error's in ram sicks? i thougth that static electricity could totaly "kill" a ram stick but i diden't know it could do error's in it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes, static can hurt part of the stick making it produce errors either in memtest or windows. Static can also cause problems that are not immediately seen but show up down the road