Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows: Choosing Display Settings

• Please log in to reply

Johnnie1944

Johnnie1944

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was reinstalling my OS Microsoft ME, when I discovered the need to change the display settings in order to install my printer. Right-clicking on MY COMPUTER, a short-cut on the desktop, and then on PROPERTIES took me to control settings where I clicked on the on the HARWARE PROFILES tab in the SYSTEM PROPERTIES dialog box. The cursor for adjusting the ratio of pixels was frozen. I was instructed by Microsoft Learning (www.microsoft.com/learning/books/troubleshooting/windows/ls/013102.asp) to click COPY and in the COPY PROFILE dialog box to create a 'temporary' copy of the hardware profile. I then RESTARTED the PC and pressed F8 when the "Starting Windows" text appeared. On the STARTUP MENU I choose SAFE MODE. In the SELECT A HARDWARE CONFIGURATION dialog box I attempted to click on the copy of the configuration created previously as 'temporary'. but the POINTER of the mouse was frozen in SAFE MODE and I could go no further except to hit Alt-Ctrl-Del to get out of safe mode and reboot. I was suppose to be able to reinstall the display adapter by following additional steps but could never do so because the configuratioin was frozen in safe mode.
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have just re-installed, (clean install) then you will be as quick to start over and load the adapter drivers before changing the screen settings