Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"system" process

• Please log in to reply

angryamerican

angryamerican

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
My "System" process (not system idle) is using all of my cpu for some reason. i read googling it that it could be from some type of device driver..

it happens most of the time when im downloading and playing internet games...

any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you do a ctrl-alt-delete , how many processes do you have running all the time? More than about 35-40 means you are probably using 30 to 50% of your processor already. Look in the performance tab and see what the CPU usage is. Going thru each process and stopping them one at a time and looking into the taskmanager performance tab could tell you if a program is using a lot of the CPU while only being started. This usually means a lot of rebooting but at least you would know. When i was running F-A-D my processor was used at 100% all the time. The only time i had a problem was when playing games or burning cd's/dvd's. Then i just stopped FAD from running while doing these things.

SRX660

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i only have 29 processes running, and the only one using any cpu over 3% is the system process...which goes anywhere from 0 to 100, depending on what i am doing...when downloading or playing games online it goes to 100 or whatever remaining cpu it can take up

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
and, its not like i am running on a bad computer..

my specs-
AMD 3500+
geforce 6600GT
1gig corsair RAM
windows is running on my 80GB HD, but then i also have another 250GB HD that i keep all other files on