Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

adding a 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a system running XP that the power supply died. I've pulled the hard drive and want to recover old files on a new XP system, what's the procedure to plug in a 2nd hard drive?

Edited by rdugan, 24 December 2005 - 12:39 PM.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On most new systems, make sure the jumper on the back is set on CS(cable select). After booting XP may not see the drive. If it doesnt shut the puter down and change the jumper to slave, then reboot. Install the drive next to the HD thats in the computer, hook the middle connector on the data cable to the new drive, and hook up a power connector. Windows should see the drive and you should be able to pull any data you want off. Usually windows will not see the OS on the second drive, but since it was bootable, You may get a window on startup asking you which Xp you want to boot to. Select theoriginal XP from the computer. When it boots you should be able to use explore to move data from the second to the first drive. If i was not going to keep the drive in the computer i would not even install the drive, just connect it up and transfer files, then shut down and remove the drive. Planning on keeping the drive in the puter? Save all the data and while in XP use control panel to reformat the drive. Then you have more space to put data just by making folders and moving the data to the folders.