Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wininet.dll file not found!

• Please log in to reply

diab

diab

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I am having computer problems again!!! I am using xp, and when I try to log in I get an error saying that wininet.dll file not found. I tried going in safe mode, but I get the same message, and my computer just freezes. I am on my bros laptop, and have saved the file on cd, but how do I save the file to my computer since i can't even log in, and where do i save it??? Anyways, any help would really hellppp!!!

Thanks....

Advertisements

Mazer

Mazer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am afraid that I have this very same problem I posted just now without looking and I just saw this. I hope someone answers either of these posts because I am now watching them.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Lets try going to Safe Mode again,this time,select Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Once the Command Screen appears,carefully type in these commands

cd\ and hit enter

copy C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\wininet.dll c:\winnt\system32 and hit enter

If you place the cd in the drive and restart the PC,what happens then?

Sounds like you may need to reset some configurations in the BIOS to get thepc to boot from a CD

Look at this article and scroll down to Boot from the Windows XP CD

See if this link helps you out.
http://www.computerh...es/ch000217.htm

Got this from this article:

http://www.bleepingc...php/t34478.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand correctly you can not boot the computer in any mode. If you have the original XP cd your best bet would be a repair installation of XP as described in a pinned topic at the top of this forum.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please do what Coachwife6's suggested instead of doing the repair installation. This problem does not require a repair installation and easily fixable.

Fenor