Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Skips in many apps

• Please log in to reply

Garry S

Garry S

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
In MusicMatch, Winamp, and SoundForge (but not WMP), the audio playback skips or hiccups. The computer is 1.5 years old. It didn't always do this. Music Match came installed when new. Their tech support is terrible. I've tried installing and uninstalling the program, the sound card drivers, etc. Dell tech support was clueless.

By the way, in WMP, video playback skips or is uneven. I don't know anything about buffers, but it seems like the video (and maybe audio in other programs) is not being buffered right.

My computer: Dell XPS 3.4 GHz, with 1Meg RAM, Creative Audigy 2, etc.

Thanks!

GS

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
well unless you mistyped that, 1 meg of ram is probably a problem...

Garry S

Garry S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

well unless you mistyped that, 1 meg of ram is probably a problem...

Brain lapse on my part. One Gig of RAM.

Thx.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dell is a bunch of dumb asses. If you tried all of that the card is more than likely going bad.

If you are trying to download the audio/video on the web as you watch it the same time the buffer is normal. It takes time to download some audio of video files while you watch it at the same time.

I have a few ideas, its hard to troubleshoot it unless I was there at your pc.

Check how many programs you have running on your taskbar. Get rid of some on startup. Try not to have all of your programs that open audio/video open in the taskbar at the same time...

While you do your playbacks, monitor the cpu usage in the windows task manager. See if it goes to 100% alot and stays there for a good amount of time.

Garry S

Garry S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the input. I think you're right, it's probably the sound card. I don't know how to convince Dell that the card is at fault. I have a 3-year warranty on this computer, so a free card should be forthcoming. Dell usually insists that something breaks completely before they'll replace it. I could splurge and buy a new sound card. I have another computer with a Creative Soundblaster Live! card and MusicMatch works fine on it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
hmmm, you could try by taking out the sound card in your dell xps and put in your sound blaster live and see if the problem is fixed.

Edited by jrm20, 24 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

Garry S

Garry S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'll do that. I'm wondering if a good experiment would be to put the suspect sound card in the Win2000 machine. Couldn't hurt. I'll do both.

Thanks!