Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick Graphics Question.

• Please log in to reply

KindKill

KindKill

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmm, i was looking at the "Video card or driver doesn't support alpha blending." Thread, and everyone was saying that if your motherboard doesnt have an AGP slot, then you need to get a new motherboard. I am currently in the process of making a new computer, and I've realized that AGP is seeming more and more dead, but from what you guys said, if it doesn't have AGP slot, then no way of upgrading the graphics card. PCI is becoming more and more prominate and i heard it is much better/faster then AGP. What do you suggest?

My Specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
2x CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory
2x PNY VCG6800GXPB Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Will this not run Call of Duty 2? I have heard this will run any game on the market right now, with maxed settings. But you guys sound like you know what your talking about, and im curious if i need a new MOBO and Video card.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dont get confused. LOL

Alot of the people trying to play cod2 had older systems with integrated graphics. Some had newer systems with integrated graphics and then only an available regular pci slot. Agp is better than regular pci but pci express is the newest technology that alot of the newer motherboards are going with. Agp is dying out and thats why is not on the newest motherboards.

If you have pci express which is 16X your good to go. Pci express is the newer technology like I said above.

Yes that machine will play call of duty 2 lol, it has pci express. The old regular pci is the one that sucks.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright, that makes sense, and thanks for the clarification. Guess I'll continue to finish my rig then.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Do you really need 2 6800 gt's in sli mode?? Is this a system already prebuilt and you have to keep the video cards or not?

If not I would look into getting just one 7800 gtx 256mb.

Edited by jrm20, 24 December 2005 - 11:39 PM.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Was thinking about that, and yeah i know that even one of the graphics cards in there will run any game on the market now, but that way i can tackle any game for a while :tazz: