Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am wanting to upgrade my pc with the following and want to know if my existing pc2700 ddr is compatible or do I need RAM too MB cpu combo @ pricewatch :tazz:

Edited by lamuskrat, 24 December 2005 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should work although it would be better with DDR2, although i would avoid the dual core intels in general they arent very good.

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So I should go Athlon (like x2 4800) and probably 1 gig of ddr2??

Edited by lamuskrat, 25 December 2005 - 11:23 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would rather go with this one and then get more memory.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103546

Then get 2 gb of ram.

By the way noone told you this, the amd boards do not support ddr2. That is the only drawback to amd. I would rather have the amd x2 dual core that I listed than any intel dual core and I have an Intel pentium 4. In dual core the amd is better. You dont need ddr2, but if you have to have ddr2 you got to go with intel.

Edited by jrm20, 25 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok,
Heres the deal:

I have a Systemax P4 3.06 ghz, 1.5 gig ddr, plus the other peripherals, running xp pro (sp2).
I am wanting to upgrade now while I have the $$. System is basically used for internet, bus apps like word, some ripping/burning of music/video. Really no gaming per se unless it's internet play like cards. But I want the most bang for my buck now so I won't have to upgrade for some time. I am the only one in the house with a P4 all my other systems (3 others) are athlon. Would the conversion be simple/painless??

Note: don't really want to buy an entirely new system unless it's the most economical way to go

Budget of around $1000.00

Edited by lamuskrat, 25 December 2005 - 04:19 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would get a dual core x2 and atleast 2gb of ram for the future... You already have most of the stuff. You just need cpu and mobo and maybe new powersupply to accomidate the newer 939 boards... You already have memory, more wouldnt hurt if you want future proof.

Ya just for upgrading and using your other current harddrive, memory, case, you can get something in your budget for shure.

Get that x2 processor I posted above with a new 939 mobo from dfi, abit, or msi. I dont know if you want a video card because you said you dont do games. Then more memory since you have the funds. Man that x2 with a good mobo with 3gb of total ram would be sweet and no its not overboard.

Depends if you want to use your old ram or not but, 2gb of ram is plenty.

Edited by jrm20, 25 December 2005 - 04:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would just keep the ram you have you shouldnt need an upgrade with that system, but if you dont play games you could easily get away with 1gig of ddr400 ram if you want new faster stuff. DDR2 isnt all that great anyway games dont really like it as much as they like plain old DDR and most other things dont particularly bother what ram it is just as long as there is enough of it.

But you dont need an X2 the 3700+ san diegos are dirt cheap and would e more than adequate its really gamers that need the bleeding edge speed over the normal home user as you would seem to be.