Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2 Direct X Error

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
(Spirit)

You cannot play call of duty 2 on an intel integrated video card.

Buy a new video card supported by the game and find out what expansion slots you have available in your motherboard.

Advertisements

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, thanks :tazz:

I have done everything else, and that is now my only option it seems lol

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, new issue

I installed the new card everything works fine for COD 2 now, yay!

Now my COD1 does not work. I have reinstalled Direct X 9.0c again, I reinstalled the game and tried to update drivers once again. I still recieve this error...then this description

Error:

Could not load OpenGL. make sure that you have the lastest drivers for you video card from the manufacturer's web site.

COD MP 1.1 build win-x86 Oct 8 2003
----- FS_Startup -----
Current language: english
Current search path:
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak6.pk3 (3 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak5.pk3 (4858 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak4.pk3 (1668 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak3.pk3 (1992 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak2.pk3 (694 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak1.pk3 (2642 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\pak0.pk3 (12828 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\Mogadishu.pk3 (26 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\landsitz.pk3 (49 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1/main
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\localized_english_pak1.pk3 (3736 files)
localized assets pak file for english
C:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1\main\localized_english_pak0.pk3 (1204 files)
localized assets pak file for english

File Handles:
----------------------
29700 files in pk3 files
execing default_mp.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
execing config_mp.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec_mp.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Measured CPU speed is 3.07 GHz
System memory is 1016 MB (capped at 1 GB)
Video card memory is 128 MB
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) supported

Winsock Initialized

----- Client Initialization -----
Resolving codmotd.activision.com
Couldn't resolve address
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorbits of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Could not load OpenGL. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturer's web site.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ok thats weird. If it plays cod2 now it is suppost to play regular call of duty with no problems lol.

The only thing I can tell you is make shure you have the latest drivers from nvidia.

You should have directx 9.0c so I dont know why your getting that error.

Depending on which nvidia drivers you have maybe there is an issue with your current driver on regular cod. Try the very latest or try an older driver.

If you tried the very latest driver and regular cod still doesnt work.

Try the 78.01 drivers. I use that on all my games right now. I dont have regular cod anymore though.

http://www.jucaushii..._2_drivers.html

The only other thing I can think of is you didnt delete your old nvidia drivers before you installed the new.

If thats the case get a driver cleaner of some kind if you want to make shure the drivers ard deleted.

*try the older drivers on last resort*

Edited by jrm20, 01 January 2006 - 01:31 PM.

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your quick help man, I will see what I can do.

I have some scrims adn tournaments in the next few days...and lol, it has been frustrating.

If I install old versions of drivers, wouldn't the current versions override them anway? Or do you know how I could od both. I honestly know nothing about Video Cards and Driver Updates lol.

paranoidx

paranoidx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
okie I did have the same prob AFTER reinstalling my system. Might I add EXACT prob. But before I reinstall on my system it worked fine COD+COD-UO+COD2.

It puzzled me for a while. I installed the latest drivers nvidia(81.85) and sound (Realtek [onboard]) etc. But it gave me that error. I reinstalled it 3 times just in case something screwed up in the detection process etc.

But finally I got it working. It was my blizzering sound driver. Funny thing is for some reason reinstalling the same audio driver (changing from old, del, new ones etc) windows eventually detected these weird hardware that is suppose to be on my system. something of microsoft audio kernel etc.. which I thought what the...

anyway, by trying different audio drivers fixed my prob. Currently Im using the latest realtek which was the original one I installed which didn't work?!??!

so beats me in terms of logic, but it worked..lol

My guess is that the direct x error is a hardware driver one for sure. the problem is which one..

after searching the google I found this forum which I hoped would resolve my prob so I thought I might just reg and enter my soln and hopefully help other people with same prob.

COD2 didn't display the driver error until I install the older audio drivers which lead me to my soln. btw, i tried install/reinstall/uninstall so many old realtek audio driver I couldn't tell which I did first.

my spec.

2.8hgz HT
512ram
Leadtek FX5600
on board audio (realtek) IPE1000

unfortunately I crawl in DX9 yet I fly in DX7 and after the HT(COD2 1.01 patch) patch, It FLEW!!! gone the lags ..

good luck anyway (returning to COD2) :tazz:::):D:D

Edited by paranoidx, 08 January 2006 - 08:46 PM.

Giant_Squid

Giant_Squid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well im reading all these possible solutions to this problem, but most people seem to have nVidia cards. Well of course ive gotten the same problem as everyone else and tried the solution on Activisions web site twice, reinstalled the game twice, but I still get the same message about DirectX. Ive reinstalled DirectX 9 and my video drivers but still nothing works.
System Specs are:
1 gig RAM
AMD 64+ 3000 processor
ATI Radeon X800

its more than enough to run this game.

So im gonna try going to older drivers for my card but I don't know where to look for them, does anyone know a link for old ATI drivers. Also wouldn't getting older drivers mean that all my other games won't work. I play Counter Strike: Source and Battlefield 2 a good bit.

This problem is making me really fustrated.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
(Spirit)

You were smart to get a new card
The Intel Chipset 910GL chipset is one of the worst on the market.
anyone who has one check intels website for unsupported games..
there's alot of games that will not work with this chipset
Intel does not seem to be concerned by that fact either.

http://support.intel...b/CS-011967.htm

Edited by waynescheffler, 19 January 2006 - 05:57 PM.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
(Giant Squid)

Here is where I get custom drivers. These are hacked/custom drivers
so be carefull and read the info carefully, backup your system, get insurance... ect. ect.
They have drivers for all sorts of cards not just ATI.

http://downloads.gur...nload.php?id=18

Also you might want to check for updated sound drivers.

Edited by waynescheffler, 19 January 2006 - 06:09 PM.

paranoidx

paranoidx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Giant_Squid... what about ur sounds card??

maybe ur having the same prob with mine. i.e. sound card driver.

Im pretty sure the video drivers are all fine. but the sounds are a bit more dodgy since there are so many integrated, wireless, usb etc ones..

heres my theory:

if its graphics.. then it should still start except maybe garbled or crash somewhere (dx compat issue)
if its directx.. then ur other games simply wont play.. so this is a rare one..
if its motherboard etc.. hard to speculate but this is a rare one imo..

sounds is the only one with huge diversity. not to mention the diff hardware decode etc..

if i were u... i would try these:

1. run in safe mode see if you can put it in lowest everything and work you way up
".......\Call of Duty 2\cod2sp_s.exe" +safe
2. double check my audio drivers (try old ones even)
3. when uninstalling audio/video card drivers make sure its truely deleted.
so I would dig in google stuff like ATI drivers remover.. whatever audio driver remover.
4. codec packs that u installed?? some codec will overide certain defaults (so is to use their one instead of windows default etc), try removing them.. install back the original Windows Media 9.0 codec pack.
Similarly, some players comes with codec packs.. so try uninstalling them..
5. tweaks?? some bloody tweaks cause more probs than it solves.. so make sure any attempts on graphics cards, audio card etc is set back to default.. this includes overclocking..

Sorry for not helping much as I never had a ATI graphics card on any computer since the drivers on them buggers are a bit confusing(to me anyway).

hope that helps.. if not provide a bit more info on your comp and the attempts..

but I assure u that ur attempts is not futile.. other than faulty parts..LOL
and the game is a well worth it.. I finished it countless times now :) :tazz:

and still enjoying it..

fantastic stress reliever... :)

Edited by paranoidx, 27 January 2006 - 12:02 AM.

Advertisements

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yah, the only problem I have had with the new video card is that My original COD won't work. But that is a matter of reinstalling older drivers or the game itself...which I dont really play much anymore anyway.

I do have to say that the card makes a difference in performance and it was only like 70bucks for a middle version GeForce.

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello

I have joined this forum as i am not that computer literate and need your help. My computer (WINDOWS xp iNTEL PENTIUM 2.80ghZ) loads and plays cod1 no problem. However have just bought cod 2 and i cannot get it to work. It comes up with a unrecoverable error. I have checked my computer for compatibility and it says my vidoe card does not meet the minmum requirements (bit annoyed as i have just bought the computer and thought it to be top of the range). What do i need to do? Can i just download the NVIDIA drivers? Do i have to buy a video card and plug into the motherboard( something i wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do).
Please help - I only want to play this game so bad!
PS - why does COD 1 work ok?

paranoidx

paranoidx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Gambo, first thing, 2.8ghz is far from "top of the range"...

Q. What do i need to do? Can i just download the NVIDIA drivers? Do i have to buy a video card and plug into the motherboard( something i wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do).
A. well.. since u have "(WINDOWS xp iNTEL PENTIUM 2.80ghZ)".. i presume u have a graphics card.
else u wouldnt have the slighest idea what operating system ur running.

and with "why does COD 1 work ok?" asserts me u have ur computer with graphics card and all up and running.

Q. why does COD 1 work ok?..
A. COD2 uses a more advance graphics rendering engine from video cards that support DX9
as you have not mention the model of your video card.. I cannot possibly provide any suggestion other than its a nVidia.
COD 1 uses a old but cool DX7 (no bells and whistle of DX9 but does the bloody job).
and COD2 comes with both DX7 and DX9 so u can select.

-----------------------beginning of a Solution:
Get a directx dump from ur comp..

1.Start>run..
2.Type "dxdiag"
3.Locate "Save All Information" button in the dialogue box and press it. Save it somewhere u can find like "my documents"
4.Repost with the dxdiag report as an attachment
maybe then can a solution be resolved.

good luck.

meantime.. try reading the thread and see if any of the solution suggested gives u any further progress..
such as try running in SAFE MODE within COD2(its a default shortcut once u install COD2)

(Spirit)

(Spirit)

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I had the same issue recieving the same error. If you read through this forum post, you will see a plethera of options suggestions and links.

If you are using an onboard graphics card (a graphics card that came with your pc on your motherboard), you might as well go purchase a new graphics card. I was using an onboard and did EVERYTHING I could to try adn still use it from all types of drivers, updates ect... The onboard card just did not support the amount of 3D graphics and the DX9.0c needed to run COD2.

COD2 is a pretty graphic intense game and will use all it can grab.

Definitely go download all the latest drivers, Direct X 9.0c, hardware and software updates to start.

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Paranoid & spirit - sorry if i ask dumb questions.

I have a attatched my specs - kinda think i need a new graphics card?

If i do whats the best way to get one installed.

Cheers guys

Gambo
:tazz:

Attached Files