Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2 Direct X Error

• Please log in to reply

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Gambo and welcome to G2G!

You currently have a Intel 82945G integrated graphics card, the Intel cards aren't capable of running the game you need to upgrade your graphics card.

Advertisements

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you

Would you recommend getting someone to install or could i just buy and install myself. The question is made with little knowledge of how easy a task this would be.

Does anybody recoomend a type of card that does the job but isnt too expensive?

Thankyou

Gambo

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
If you don't feel confident to do it yourself then get a professional to do it.

I myself use a Geforce 6800GT and I can run it with the settings quite high but it really all depends on how much your willing to spend.
It also depends on your system specs as well.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 06 February 2006 - 03:28 PM.

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok everyone so please tell me what the chepest card/make/model i could buy to get cod2 to work. I'm not looking for any fancy bells and whistles on the graphics, just for it to work reasonably well. The chances are that i won't be playing many games, just enthralled by this particular one.

Come on you experts please advise................................ :tazz: I wanna get shooting!

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: OK so no answer as yet

I'll propose one to you then. Will the ATI RADEON 9250 PCI graphic card support cod2 - ie will it work?

I see these retail around circa $100 US. Are there any cheaper that would support cod2 - if so what are they.

I really want to play this game! :)

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
If this is your PC then you have a 16X PCI-Express slot which can run all the latest and greatest cards.

With the cheapest card your not going to get good performance and that will ruin the gameplay.
A 256MB Geforce 6800 PCI-Express card will cost about $150 to $170, that will give you decent performance and some future proofing. A 256MB Geforce 6600 PCI-Express card will cost about $100 to $150.

Prices may be slightly different because I live in the UK.

DaviDJ06

DaviDJ06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, i have read through and noticed that (Spirit) has the same video card as me... now i know i cant run cod2 without a graphics card... so i got one.

GeForce 6200 128mb ddr

this is supposed to work for cod2 yes? well it may do but its not working for my computer... i have followed the instructions on installing drivers and everything but the problem i get is when i restart my computer and it starts loading up windows but when it gets to the point where it is supposed to show the desktop the screen stays black... the monitor is on but nothing is showing on screen...

I'm not sure why, maybe it is the graphics card? but im wondering what graphics card (Spirit) got so i can try that...

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Gambo

Gambo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I would be interested to know too and the $ cost please
:tazz:

DaviDJ06

DaviDJ06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so the graphics card is half working now, i can do things like msn and browse the internet, but i cant play any PC games and some programs...

my screen just freezes(mouse doesnt move, cant bring anything up on screen) and i have to restart

If anyone has had these problems before and fixed them i would be very appreciative to hear your suggestions.

bigbell

bigbell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
can i run call of duty one and two with a Ati Radeon 9250 pci 256 mb

Advertisements

cj2164

cj2164

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Same old problem. Direct X error. Hours away from just returning this game unless someone can help.
Here are the laptop system details:

XP Home
1.7 ghz intel pentium
100gb hard drive
256 mb memory
mobile intel® 915gm/gms 910gml express chipset family

latest direct x update installed 3-8-06
latest vidoe drivers installed 3-8-06

Want to play the game. Assured by Best Buy Geeks (I know, I know don't say it!) it will work on this system. Lowered display to 800x600, set audio to basic. As far as I know I have done everything I can and it still will not work! Did I miss anything?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello cj2164 and welcome to G2G!

You have intel integrated graphics, these cards aren't DirectX9 compatibility and therefore aren't capable of running the game.
You can't upgrade your graphics card because your using a laptop, so the only thing you can do it get a decent desktop.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 09 March 2006 - 06:33 AM.

cj2164

cj2164

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Zeus. I knew the Geeks at Best Buy didn't have a clue but I took a chance.

Toblerone09

Toblerone09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
nevermind...was gonna make a post about a laptop...is it really impossible to upgrade a graphics card on a laptop?

Edited by Toblerone09, 27 March 2006 - 11:18 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Toblerone09 and welcome to G2G!

Yes, it really is impossible because the card is integrated on to the motherboard.