Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time computer builder... Compatible parts?

• Please log in to reply

jumpmandan23

jumpmandan23

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I am a first time computer builder. I am trying to build a computer for less than $900. I am looking to build a computer that will last a bit, the most intense game I play is battlefield 2 and hl 2. Please give any comments if you think I should change a part or if you have a recommendation about what parts I should put in. Also I am replacing my current power supply in the case I am looking at to a 500 ps-24pin.(The case ps is a 20 pin)

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX

Motherboard
ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A8N-SLI

Graphics Card
SAPPHIRE 100129FB Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 FireBlade Edition Video Card - OEM
Model #: 100129FB

RAM
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
Model #: VS1GBKIT400

Case:
XION Black XION II XON-103 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: XON-103

PSU
ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ATX-CW500WP4

HD
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD800JD

CD/DVD
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - OEM
Model #: ND-3550A BK OEM

If you need anymore info on anything let me know...

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

All the parts are compatible but the first thing I would ask is do you need a SLI board, SLI is meant for running 2 video cards, if you plan not to do this you would be able to save some money using a non SLI board.

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yeah, and the sli is for nvidia cards only. Everything is compatable but I wouldnt get a sli motherboard unless your wanting to get 2 nvidia video cards right now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Isnt that motherboard a 20 pin.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No its a 24 pin, maybe some of the first versions of the A8N were 20 pin

jumpmandan23

jumpmandan23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the posts. You guys are very helpful. With the Sli mb I wasn't really thinking of right now but in the future perhaps when I might want to do sli. Although I understand that I could save a couple bucks. Do you have any recommandations on a motherboard that would suit my needs?

Thx again,

Dan