Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

inquiries

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I was contemplating picking up a new PC but I am unsure of the specific brand parts that I should buy.I was looking for something that could run Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client, word, office, zonealarm run large divx/xvid files etc...[all at once] Also large storage space ability to burn cd-r's[maybe even DVD-Rs etc] flat panel [do these even have any advantages over CTRs other than space] and if so what are they?] and the ability to upgrade for future use any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Just wanted to add that I would probaly need to use a scanner with the other things also and I would like for it to not be noisy.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Also in reference to my first post when I say run large divx/xvid files I mean that I only want to view such files[no bigger than 750mb probaly]

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Doesn't sound as though you would need a top-of-the line system. Maybe a Celeron or AMD non-64 bit system. Something with a decent size hard drive (160gb), a decent amount of memory (512mb or more) and a DVD burner.

Flat panel (LCD) displays use less power than CRT's, and take up less space. They aren't quite as good for gaming, watching movies, and photo editing, although new ones are getting better.

I wouldn't worry to much about upgrading. System components change all the time, and usually it's not practical to upgrade a system beyond memory and hard drive size.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I agree with Admin, you dont need a top of the line but if you plan to edit video or play games, then I would get the Pentium 4/A Athlon XP CPU instead of the Celeron. You will see a big differnce between them, and if plan to get the P4, you have two options there. Either get the Northwood(FSB 533), or Perscott(FSB 800) chip, if you think that heat is going to be a issue that get the Northwood Chip and it is also cheaper. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 07 February 2005 - 05:27 PM.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yeah I really wouldn't expect to edit video or play games with what I might be looking at as I don't really have any interest in that.Any specific recommendations on a Celeron or AMD non-64 bit system, hard drive, memory, and DVD burner[brands/models] I guess it would be better to just use my current CTR rather than a new LCD.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts

Any specific recommendations

Some nice deals here:
http://www1.us.dell....s=04&l=en&s=bsd

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks for the links the first and third one look pretty nice but I have been told before that buying pre made PCs are not a good idea and building piece by piece is cheaper[Is that true?]

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
It's not necessarily true that it's cheaper to build your own, however it does allow you to configure the system exactly as you want it, and makes upgrading easier.

You may want to look at a Mac too. The MacMini may meet your needs with a few upgrades. The OSX operating system is very easy to use, and there are very few problems with malware on Apple computers.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks for the info and recommendation admin :tazz: