Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core + ASUS A8vkt800pro mobo

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
HI ALL,

I've been asking all around about this BIOS issue i have read about and im hoping somoen can answer my question...

My question is:

I have just recived an ASUS A8V KT800pro motherboard... I am wanting to order an AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Processor to install on it.... My question which actualy turns into 2 questions...1. Will I have to update the BIOS to run the dual core processor or will i be able to run it right out of the box? 2. If i have to update the bios... HOW DO I DO IT?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The ASUS A8V KT800pro motherboard should have a manual included with it that tells all about what processors it supports. If the answer is not there, no doubt it is available on Asus's web page. The most common means of bios flash is to download the update, put it on a floppy, put it in the floppy drive and re-boot the computer. Once again, refer to the motherboard manual. It sould provide excellent documentation as to how to do this! :tazz:

Edited by austin_o, 25 December 2005 - 07:20 AM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Thanks... I think I found my answer after a little bit of searching...Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Noxxi

Noxxi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Similar problem, but I posted an answer just a while ago...here was my response:

Okay, so I had the SAME exact problem. I bought all of my parts before Christmas, and hooked it all up on Christmas...and the sound of the pump whishing water to my processor with the light hum of the 120mm fans got me excited! NO SIGNAL! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! This is a $500 card...IT HAS TO WORK!

So here is what the problem is:

There are two different kinds of X2 revision for the 3800+, and the 4200+.

1. The "Manchester" chip (a.k.a. the E4 stepping version found in the 3800+ and 4200+)
2. The "Toledo" chip (a.k.a. the E6 stepping version found in the 4200+).

So, there are different BIOS versions of the A8N-SLI Deluxe out there...and since it was released before the dula core chipsets, some of the boards have an older bios (possibly because for whatever reason this board had been on the shelves, and when they shipped it or gave it to you at the store, they grabbed the box and did not know the BIOS would not support your chip).

SO, you have to do what I did...get a new BIOS chip from ASUS. I know I had the 1011 BIOS version, and I needed the 1013 or higher BIOS for it to start.

It is located below the SATA ports on the board. It is a square chip inside a square retainer with a sticker on it. It will say 1010, or 1011, etc. If you do not have the box for your processor to enter the serial number on the AMD website to find what revision you have, do what I did...lie. Just call ASUS and use option 3 twice. That will get you to the tecnical support. Tell them you have a dual core AMD processor, and you talked to the tecnical support the other day, and need to get the new bios chip. They will send it out. If you tell them you THINK that is the problem, they will tell you 100 troubleshooting tips, and tell you to call back after you do them all...but say it with confidence and they will send you a new and shiny chip. :)

Otherwise you will be stuck with a machine that runs, but no video. :tazz:

Here is the number:

Technical Support
Motherboard and General Product Support :
Email: http://vip.asus.com/...e/techserv.aspx
Tel: 502-995-0883 (select option 3)
Fax: 502-933-8713

Edited by Noxxi, 29 December 2005 - 10:33 AM.