Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive doesn't recognize DVDs

• Please log in to reply

darqblue42

darqblue42

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi all,

About a week ago I could play DVDs in my laptop's DVD RW/R drive. Now, however, when I put a DVD into the drive, it make some noise like it's trying to read the disk, but, after about a minute, nothing happens (in My Computer, I see no disk in the drive). This does NOT happen with any other type of disk (blanks, games, music all work fine). I'm getting rather annoyed with this problem and I hope there's a simple fix.

Thanks,
darqblue42

P.S.: I have tried uninstalling my DVD software etc, but I believe the problem lies before the point of the software having any influence...if that makes sense... :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could check for a software update for your DVD software. Also may be worth checking for a firmware update for your dvd drive.

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried installing new firmware ("PSU2" --> "PS08" for my "Slimtype SOSW-852S" drive), but this didn't help. Is there anything else I could try before reinstalling the OS?

Thanks.

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
i doubt this could be the problem but look into it. i had a problem also but it was such that my dvd rom coudln't read dvd +r but it could read dvd-r. it could be the reason