Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best one

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Can anyone recommend the best app for protection? What are the advantages for paid over freeones?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There is not a one size fits all answer. IMO Kaspersky is probably they most up-to-date for the newest threats, and catches more infections than most, but it can be very resource intensive, and slow your system. Norton is a good compromise in system performance and protection. I can't recommend McAfee, we just see too many computers infected with it installed (but this may be because it comes pre-installed on many systems, and users don't purchase the subscription).

AVG is a very good free solution. They offer the previous generation of their software free, with free definition updates.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks for the reply
So could it be possible to list Norton McAfee panda AVG simply because I am running with 800MHz with 128 on ME and Kaspersky[apparenly the best choice] being very resource intensive probaly isn't a good thing for me.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Actually, I wouldn't recommend Norton or McAfee.

Norton is a resource hog, and there are plenty of other 'better' AV's out there.
McAfee isn't a great AV either, and like admin said, a lot of people who have McAfee have infections. My personal recommenedation is an AV called NOD32. I think it is by far the best one out there. I actually have a whole round up of AV software on my web site. That have been tested against many different viruses. I have all the information, on how well it did, and what viruses were used, etc. Might want to check that out, as it could be very very useful in helping you make a choice.

Anti-Virus Software Reviews

Hope that helps, and check out that link. I think it will help you a lot.

B

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nice article Besttechie! :tazz: Links to the homepages of each AV may be helpful.

I've never tried NOD32 personally, but I'm going to install it on my latop now. ;) I disagree about Norton being a resource hog (while running in the background), but I respect your opinion.

We also have some info on free AV resources here: http://www.geekstogo...ources-t38.html

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi admin,

Thanks, I'm glad you like the article. :tazz: Also, thanks for the free AV resource link. It has some good info there.

As for a link to NOD32.

NOD32 - Web Site

Have a great day! ;)

B

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Wow thanks for the links guys I'll check on the reviews.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
No problem, glad to be of some help. :tazz:

B

Michlos

Michlos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

I've never tried NOD32 personally, but I'm going to install it on my latop now. ;) I disagree about Norton being a resource hog (while running in the background), but I respect your opinion.

I have noticed that Norton AV is not too bad but if you are running Norton Sysworks you are putting your comp through a lot of extra stress :tazz:

I would really recommend NOD32. It's MUCH faster than Norton and to me works just as well, if not better than Norton. The main difference is if you email large files. Norton will take a lifetime to scan a 8 meg file but NOD will run it through in no time at all.