Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant see other computers on network

• Please log in to reply

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Currently have a network of 3 desktop computers at home. I'm trying to share files with the other computers which they all do with each other sucessfully.

Here are the results of IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOPSCOTT
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-E3-16-3C

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-D3-28-E1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.70
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 25 December 2005 12:28:55
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 December 2005 12:28:55

I pinged the computer on the network that is directly connected to the internet.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Scott>cd\

C:\>ping 192.168.1.64

Pinging 192.168.1.64 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.64:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 12ms

The windows firewall is off, file sharing is on and I'm pretty sure that we're on the same network .... the other computers can see the laptop on the network. (I'm very confused).

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello ScottyKay,
Can you please just clear something up for me:

Cant see other computers on network

I'm trying to share files with the other computers which they all do with each other sucessfully.

So, if the computers can't see each other, then how come you're able to share files? What, exactly is the problem?

This means that either your devices aren't working as they should be, or the link between your devices is not working as it should be, or Windows has been corrupted (by malware) and therefore incorrectly reports that there is no active connection between your devices.

1. Verify everything has power - if either device has no power, windows will report media state disconnected.

2. Verify any NIC is correctly seated in the motherboard, that the BIOS on the motherboard supports it, and that the slot it's in is turned on (you can turn off PCI slots on some).

3a. If wired, verify wiring is not faulty, the internal wiring correctly paired, does not exceed rated length, and lacks line noise.
3b. If wireless, verify correct frequency and no interference.

4. Verify you're using the correct media and devices. IE, this error will occur if you're using a straight-through CAT5 instead of a cross-over between two computers/NICS. With wireless in mind, if you have the wrong type of wireless NIC, it might be broadcasting on the wrong frequency.

5. Verify devices are free of physical faults (bad RJ45 port, etcetera).

6. For driver-dependent devices (ex. NIC), make sure software is correctly installed. If you have gotten to this step and there is no link-light on either of the devices, go back to step 1 and start over. If there is no link light (no current between RJ45 jack and connector) then neither this step or any of the following steps will resolve the issue.

7. For firmware-dependent devices (ex. router) make sure latest (or alternatively, least problematic if new firmware is buggy) firmware is correctly installed and working.

8. For driver dependant devices, make sure core operating system files are not corrupted; a corrupted stack may cause windows to incorrectly report the link as disconnected. Note that resetting TCP/IP & WINSOCK settings via netsh only resets the settings and such (ex. registry keys) pertaining to the stack - they do not fix a broken stack. To fix a broken stack, reinstall TCP/IP & WINSOCK (most easily achieved by simply reinstalling the latest service pack).

Since I'm a little hazy on what your problem is, I'm afraid I can't be any more help.

Edited by Dan G, 25 December 2005 - 05:33 PM.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I'm going to start from scratch as I realise I was a bit confusing and the problem has worsened.

I had a network of 4 desktop computers, they had a wireless network setup with file sharing working fine. I got this new laptop and first thing set up a network using my LAN wire network adapter (explains the disconnected medium) by mistake. This combined with other mistakes led to me deciding to restore the laptop to its original state.

So I started it up as normal, filling in all the basic details. When I go to connect to the wireless network I get a "Limited or no connectivity" message - it worsens.

I go to check the other computers

- The one which is directly connected to the router works fine although file sharing was no longer working?

- 2 of the other desktops have connections intermittently, they'll suddenly stop working unless I disconnect-reconnect. File sharing is also no longer working.

- The other desktop came up with the same "Limited or no connectivity" message!!!!???!!!!!

In my attempts to fix the problem, on the laptop I've installed the microsoft patch for the "Limited or no connectivity" problem to no avail as well as a program called "WinsockxpFix" - no avail. One strange thing, for a very brief time after typed "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" into the command prompt ... the internet worked for a very short time .... before the "Limited or no connectivity" reared its ugly head once more!

These are the ipconfig\all and ping (for the host IP) results from the laptop now.

C:\Documents and Settings\Scott>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ScottLaptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-D3-28-E1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.211.239
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-E3-16-3C

C:\Documents and Settings\Scott>ping 192.168.1.69

Pinging 192.168.1.69 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.69:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Scott>

PLEASE HELP :S

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, here's another curveball to throw into the works. If I try to ping the host comp from one of the dektops where the internet IS working ... it keeps timing out.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I've fixed the internet connection problems. All I had to do was power down then power up my router! Gonna try to sort the file sharing now!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
lol... You seem to be solving your own problems well :tazz:
Let me know if you still need any help.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yep, managed to get it all sorted out on all the computers. Filesharing and the connecting to internet, powering down then powering up the router was key as all the automatically assigned IP's were screwed up. If anyone gets similiar symptoms I'd recommend this as a 1st step, followed by the XP patch and then the WinSock program I mentioned.

If none of that works there is lots on the net to do with the "limited or no connectivity"