Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp tweaks (tweak 7)

• Please log in to reply

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi
Today I was over at my brothers house and he was complaining that his computer was booting really slowly. There was heaps of stuff in his start up tray and I suggested that we turn some of it off using tweak 7.
After I had switched what I wanted off and rebooted his norton antivirus auto protect would not work even when I tried to start it manually. I went back into msconfig/startup and rechecked everything that was there and rebooted and still no auto protect and msn mesenger has stopped working. I can't understand what has happened as I have used this tweak many times on other computers and it has never caused me any dramas. Usually if something does not start after you have performed the tweak and you go back into msconfig and recheck the program it starts again. Can anyone give me any ideas as I feel really bad that this has happened and I think he's a bit p'd off with me. There were no error sceens when I tried to manually start the auto protect nothing happend. Can altering the start up cause problems. There are three different user accounts on the computer computer and I was logged onto my brothers account and he has admin rights. Could I have corrupted something in the other user accounts when I altered the start up in his?
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks a lot
Jim :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Happy Holidays jimfu2!

What I suggest you do is go into the CONTROL PANEL and click CHANGE next to his installation of norton. You should then get a window where you can repair the installation.

Fenor

jimfu2

jimfu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Fenor
Thanks I'll try that. I was going to reinstall norton if I can't fix it but I will try a repair first. What has got me though is why it's stopped working in the first place. I didn't think that altering the start up could affect the opperation of a program only stop it from starting when you boot your pc. I think his pc may have other issues and am a bit dubious about touching it now. Maybe I could be opening pandoras box.
Thanks a lot and I hope you enjoy the rest of your festive season.
Jim :tazz: