Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best bang for the buck CPU under $200?

• Please log in to reply

soggyrice

soggyrice

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm torn between the Athlon64 3200+ which I got for $132...compared to these Opterons:

Opteron 144

Opteron 146

I heard the Opterons were very good at OCing with the stock HSF...the 1mb L2 is an added bonus...would there be a significant performance increase with the Opterons to justify their price?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
opterons are for servers not home users.

soggyrice

soggyrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Are you saying that I can't use it for an everyday use/gaming rig?

There are compatibility issues?

Edited by soggyrice, 25 December 2005 - 06:21 PM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
lol

Edited by FuM, 25 December 2005 - 07:10 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
not really it wouldnt be very good along those lines. They dont have the things like multimedia extensions and features they are used to give alot of processing power but its isnt as refined as an athlon. For a gaming rig stivk with athlons thats what they are made for really, if you want a better cpu get an FX series those really are made essentially just for gaming.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
ya an AMD FX would be ideal for gaming but seeing as how your budget is low i doubt you could afford that. if your only looking to upgrade your CPU then it would help if you mentioned the socket of your current Mobo.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Quit talking about opterons and look into a socket 939 amd 64 bit cpu. They fit your budget and will do anything you want to do.

Even if you got just the fx cpu its not going to be good unless you have a good video card to go along with it to play the latest games.